Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt value in $$$$$ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-value-%24%24%24%24%24-t82020.html)

TN Donna 12-10-2010 08:22 PM

I am making an 84" X 92" quilt to send overseas. It is the Ship at Sea pattern set off with Square in a Square and large blocks of 2 different nautical and red material. All is cotton. I am also sending a quilted table runner. What should I insure it for in monetary value??????????

CoriAmD 12-10-2010 08:23 PM

I personally would insure them for no less than $500.00.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-10-2010 08:28 PM

Insurance is a PITA!!! You have to document exactly what you paid for everything that goes into it. Your labor is not included :(

quiltstodo 12-10-2010 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD

I agree. But also just a word of caution make sure to wrap them in plastic trash bags before putting them in the box. Just had one ruined when the box got wet. They're still trying to get the smell out

quilting cat 12-10-2010 08:31 PM

MIL had a LQS give her a written "appraisal" statement for fire insurance purposes. (She was recipient of quilt as gift, so it wasn't HER labor!)

Farm Quilter 12-10-2010 08:40 PM

Unless you get an appraisal, insurance really won't pay piddly. When I shipped a quilt from the USA to Australia, I called it a blanket, not a quilt, it made it there just fine. Quilts are desirable and if it is identified as such, I was told it had a higher chance of not arriving.

Colorful Quilter 12-10-2010 08:57 PM

GOOD ifo. to know, thanks for sharing

sharon b 12-10-2010 10:52 PM

Insurance is a waste sadly- when I was working in the shipping area and packages got lost the USPS never paid a claim no matter what :hunf: So we stopped insuring them :wink: Very few got lost anyways :lol:

sueisallaboutquilts 12-10-2010 11:13 PM

SharonB- once I bought something in RI to be delivered here. When it arrived it was smashed. The post office gave me such a hard time about it I've never bothered insuring anything since then. After many trips, filling out forms and feeling like a criminal (I didn't but they tried to make ME at fault)
I decided it's just not worth the hassle. I somehow got my money back but what a headache!!!
Never again!

TN Donna 12-11-2010 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstodo

Originally Posted by CoriAmD

I agree. But also just a word of caution make sure to wrap them in plastic trash bags before putting them in the box. Just had one ruined when the box got wet. They're still trying to get the smell out

I always wrap in plastic when shipping overseas. My son is over security and he says you would not believe some of the stuff that gets ruined. He may be the very one to inspect his own package if he is working that area when it comes in. I hate that you have to list everything on the outside label. No surprises.