Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilted books..... anybody made one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilted-books-anybody-made-one-t196813.html)

#1piecemaker 08-05-2012 04:37 PM

Quilted books..... anybody made one?

Okay, I am going to try to make one of those little quilted books for a new great niece. Has anybody ever made one of these? It doesn't say anything about quilting the pages on the instructions. You are supposed to quilt the pages aren't you? I need help!

bakermom 08-05-2012 04:46 PM

you could quilt around characters on the pages. I don't. i use Warm and Natural inside and just topstitch around the edge after turning.The ones I've made have held up just fine without it.

hopetoquilt 08-05-2012 07:55 PM

What about using fleece instead of batting?

QuiltE 08-05-2012 08:55 PM

I just bought a panel to make one!

I'm like you and while they don't talk about quilting ... I'd want to!

Outline Quilting around the characters would be one way, although, the backside of the page, the character isn;t there and it wouldn't look right. So a meander or stipple, might make more sense.

The other thing I'm contemplating, is splitting the pages, and the backside of each page use prints that go with the book. Eg. the one I have is all about farm animals and the sounds they make, so I thought, for the horse, then I'd use a print with horses, etc. This way you could quilting around a character and it wouldn't matter to the all over print.

In the one store they had one made with poly batting, and it was too puffy for my liking. Another store had used fusable fleece/batting. When I shared my idea, the lady suggested just using flannelette.

nycquilter 08-06-2012 02:25 AM

Like Bakermom, I've made several of the books and don't quilt individual pages. The books are darling, easy and quick to complete, and do hold up without the extra quilting. However, you could quilt each page using only the batting, then put the pages together. This would be a tad thicker, given the extra batt, but might also work.

WilliP 08-06-2012 03:19 AM

Having done the books with heavy interfacing; fusible fleece/batting; and warm 'n natural I ventured farther afield in my imagination and have designed a few quilts around them. I used one for my great niece that was old fashioned farm scenes and combined with pinwheels --- started out as a doll quilt, ended up making a larger quilt too. She is 3 and really likes her "Big SisterQuilt". I may even go back and make the book the way it is designed, but there is much to be said about letting your mind wander and take a different slant on what you do with any panel.

Sunnye 08-06-2012 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 5420276)
you could quilt around characters on the pages. I don't. i use Warm and Natural inside and just topstitch around the edge after turning.The ones I've made have held up just fine without it.

This is what I do also.

sewmom 08-06-2012 05:28 AM

This thread brings up an interesting question that I hadn't thought of yet, but would have reared it's ugly head at the wrong time and sent me into a panic! I want to make a book for my DGS that lives in Texas. He and his parents were here in June. I thought it would be fun to take some of the pictures of his Michigan relatives, print it on fabric and then put in a book for him to look at. I would like to have it done for Christmas as his first birthday is in September. I want it to be durable, washable and fun! Time for some research. That's my little punkin in my avatar.

QuiltnNan 08-06-2012 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom (Post 5421213)
This thread brings up an interesting question that I hadn't thought of yet, but would have reared it's ugly head at the wrong time and sent me into a panic! I want to make a book for my DGS that lives in Texas. He and his parents were here in June. I thought it would be fun to take some of the pictures of his Michigan relatives, print it on fabric and then put in a book for him to look at. I would like to have it done for Christmas as his first birthday is in September. I want it to be durable, washable and fun! Time for some research. That's my little punkin in my avatar.

this is a really fun idea!!!