Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilted Casserole Covers? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilted-casserole-covers-t36782.html)

mpeters1200 02-14-2010 06:25 AM

Newspaper....what a great idea!

watterstide 02-14-2010 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by kacy 49
I make mine out of placemats. You just sew two placemats together on 3 sides and put 2 button holes on the open end for a spoon. I put velcro on the inside of the open end to close it. Very easy.

the spoon attached to the cover, is very clever!

b.zang 02-14-2010 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by MillieH
Do you ladies know how good newspaper (multi-layers) is for keeping dishes hot? Our church begins at 9:00 a.m., and our "dinners" at 12:00 noon. Those who live too far away to make two trips have learned that if we wrap the dishes in several layers of newspaper and then place them in the carry-all, they will still be at serving temp (oven hot!) for the potluck.

Newspaper works well for insulating cold items, too. If you are transporting those in a cooler chest, cover them with several layers of newspaper. I transported seafood from Louisiana to Colorado like this--a 2-day trip. The seafood was still frozen solid when we arrived--and in June, not winter.

Didn't our ancestors know this? Think of all the old houses lined with newspaper!

omak 02-14-2010 09:36 AM

Do you ladies know how good newspaper (multi-layers) is for keeping dishes hot? Our church begins at 9:00 a.m., and our "dinners" at 12:00 noon. Those who live too far away to make two trips have learned that if we wrap the dishes in several layers of newspaper and then place them in the carry-all, they will still be at serving temp (oven hot!) for the potluck.

Newspaper works well for insulating cold items, too. If you are transporting those in a cooler chest, cover them with several layers of newspaper. I transported seafood from Louisiana to Colorado like this--a 2-day trip. The seafood was still frozen solid when we arrived--and in June, not winter.

A number of years ago, I was going outside on the front porch, sitting on the steps, while I smoked a cigarette. It got colder and colder and one day, I took some newspapers out to sit on. I was so much warmer that I vowed I would take newspapers downtown for the "homeless" ... newspapers have been used all over the place as insulation ... good of you to remind us. <wave>

Calico Grammy 11-03-2010 08:23 AM

Were you ever a Girl Scout or a Brownie???? Going way back~~~we made "Sit-a-pons"! We used oil cloth (like our Mom's table cloths) 2 pieces with newspaper in between, punched holes along the sides and whipped them together with yarn or heavey twine leaving a loop to attach to our belts. When ever we sat in the grass~~~which was most of the time~~ we had an instant seat to "sit-a-pon"!!! Good memories!

p38flygirl 11-03-2010 08:02 PM

good memories.......

patchitpat 01-04-2011 10:33 AM

Kacy, what size casserole dish fits into this size? I have made them out of placemats too and then I have all kinds of trouble finding the right sized pan/dish.
Thank you in advance

MimiLinda 01-04-2011 07:53 PM

Thimbleberries.com has one free. I have made several.
Have fun with them.