Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with 50wt thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-50wt-thread-t189354.html)

AFQSinc 05-18-2012 01:37 PM

Quilting with 50wt thread

I am purchasing some Aurifil 50wt thread for piecing. I understand it is the thinnest weight. Has anyone ever quilted with this weight? I am wondering if the thinnness of the thread will sink into the fabric or if it kind of stays on top.

I have begun using primarily wool batting because I like the almost trapunto look it gives when the background is densely quilted. I am wondering if a thinner thread or a thicker thread will help to emphasize that effect.

Also, if anyone has used the 40wt Aurifil (or other brands) I would love to hear about that experience as well.

Candace 05-18-2012 02:14 PM

I've quilted with both and really would just recommend you try both and make samples. I don't use wool batting, so really can't tell you.

ckcowl 05-18-2012 03:35 PM

50 wt is the thinnest? i use 60wt to quilt alot- i also love wool batts- i agree with candace- you should do some practice pieces with a variety -noting the thread brand/weight, fibers & how you like each

AFQSinc 05-18-2012 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5226678)
50 wt is the thinnest? i use 60wt to quilt alot-

That is true, there is a 60wt thread but I was referring to 50wt being the thinnest Aurifil.

I may do some test swatches. I'm lazy about that sometimes.

DebbyT 05-18-2012 07:03 PM

You mention piecing and quilting. For piecing I use 40 wt. I recently went to a FMQ quilting class and for quilting she explained that she uses 100 wt. silk thread when quilting a tight/dense design. When quilting a less dense design, the 40-50 wt thread should be used. When the design is dense, if the thread is too thick, the detail is not as clear. She also explained that silk thread is very strong because the fibers are longer. I can not afford to change or add to my thread stash any time soon, so I will be using my 40 wt. polyester and cotton for a while.

DogHouseMom 05-18-2012 07:03 PM

I like using Mettler 60wt in the bobbin with Aurifil 50wt in the top, especially if I'm quilting with a lot of start/stops or heavy quilting/thread painting as you wont get thread blobs on the back. 50 Aurifil and 60 Mettler is a nice combination, they play well together.

Jingle 05-18-2012 07:40 PM

I use 50 wt for everything.

AFQSinc 05-19-2012 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by DebbyT (Post 5227110)
You mention piecing and quilting. For piecing I use 40 wt. I recently went to a FMQ quilting class and for quilting she explained that she uses 100 wt. silk thread when quilting a tight/dense design. When quilting a less dense design, the 40-50 wt thread should be used. When the design is dense, if the thread is too thick, the detail is not as clear. She also explained that silk thread is very strong because the fibers are longer.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5227113)
I like using Mettler 60wt in the bobbin with Aurifil 50wt in the top, especially if I'm quilting with a lot of start/stops or heavy quilting/thread painting as you wont get thread blobs on the back. 50 Aurifil and 60 Mettler is a nice combination, they play well together.

Thanks! This is the guidance I was looking for.

feline fanatic 05-19-2012 05:34 PM

I recommend getting Diane Gaudynski's book Guide to Machine quilting. Wonderful pictures, tons of helpful advice and a bunch of information on different weights and types of thread with uber close up pics to show you the different effects you get with each. A great book for anyone's library. You can usually pick it up quite inexpensively used on Amazon.

QuiltMe 05-19-2012 07:58 PM

Hi Ladies,
Superior Threads website has a a link to some pretty extensive thread education that is wonderful!!!! I think you would be amazed. (superiorthreads.com - then click on education) The book you recommended (feline fanatic) sounds like one I would like to add to my library too. I love using Superiors Masterpiece for piecing and King Tut for LAQ. I don't get on here very often but when I do I sure enjoy reading what other quilters are using and all the cool tips...it's endless. Thanks for the info