Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Batting Preference for Hand Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-batting-preference-hand-quilting-t182512.html)

KathyC9511 03-12-2012 02:53 AM

Quilting Batting Preference for Hand Quilting

Is there a preference in which brand of quilting batting to use if you plan to hand quilt the top? Is Warm and Natural hard to hand quilt using a #10 quilting needle? How about Hobbs batting?

Still practicing my hand quilting before starting on my grandmother's flower garden.

Thanks to all responses.

schoolteacher 03-12-2012 03:05 AM

I prefer Quilters Dream of poly. It is what I started out with and is very easy to handquilt with. I have tried Warm and Natural and find it little difficult to catch the bottom layer. Hobbs' 80/20 would be my second choice. My quilting ability is beginning. I have made several quilts and handquilted all of them. My stitches are consistent but still need to be smaller. LOL. I don't know about the needle size--eyes require a bigger hole.

Hinterland 03-12-2012 03:27 AM

Some handquilters like Warm and Natural, some don't. I use Mountain Mist lite (a thin polyester batting), Mountain Mist Blue ribbon (cotton) and Hobbs Polydown (polyester). My current quilt uses wool batting, which is also nice.

I get the smallest stitches with the Lite, and it's probably the easiest to quilt. The Hobbs and the wool batting have more poof to it, which I like a lot - it makes it easier to see the quilting design.

You can get batting swatches to try. Harriet Hargrave's quilt shop in Colorado sells 15 inch squares of batting for a few dollars each.

Janet

NJ Quilter 03-12-2012 03:53 AM

I use Warm & Natural with #11 or #12 Roxanne needles. Don't have issues with catching the back at all. I've never used any other batting so really can't compare anything to it. My friend uses Quilter's Dream 100% cotton batting. I will say that it does seem to have a softer 'drape' to it. After I run out of my bolt of W&N I'll probably try that.

teddysmom 03-12-2012 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland (Post 5052433)
Some handquilters like Warm and Natural, some don't. I use Mountain Mist lite (a thin polyester batting), Mountain Mist Blue ribbon (cotton) and Hobbs Polydown (polyester). My current quilt uses wool batting, which is also nice.

I get the smallest stitches with the Lite, and it's probably the easiest to quilt. The Hobbs and the wool batting have more poof to it, which I like a lot - it makes it easier to see the quilting design.

You can get batting swatches to try. Harriet Hargrave's quilt shop in Colorado sells 15 inch squares of batting for a few dollars each.

Janet

I'm a fairly new hand quilter. I'd like to try to Mountain Mist Lite. Do you know where I can get it?

Hinterland 03-12-2012 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom (Post 5052535)
I'm a fairly new hand quilter. I'd like to try to Mountain Mist Lite. Do you know where I can get it?

I bought mine at JoAnn's a few years ago. I haven't been back in a few years, so I don't know if they still stock it. Hobb's Theremore is similar to it, and I think the Quilters Dream poly is too.

Janet

KR 03-12-2012 05:07 AM

I'm trying Quilter's Dream Cotton for the first time and LOVE it! Needle just glides through it and the drape is soft and cuddly. Using #10 appliqué needles to quilt as I haven't mastered the shorter #11 quilting needles yet.

judi wess 03-12-2012 05:17 AM

I am a big fan of all the Quilter's Dream batts. I machine and hand quilt and love the way they drape and that the needle glides through the batting. I also have noticed that the surface of their batt is so even. Before I retired my job was a quality assurance tech in a spun yarn mill. Most of my testing was done on the fiber before it was twisted hence the batting quality issue.

QuiltingCrazie 03-12-2012 05:28 AM

I use Warm and natural, don't have a comparison because i have never used anything else. I do love it never had an issue. I don't find it difficult to hand quilt and I use #10 needle. I have hand quilted many quilts in the ditch and designs. My batting was a batting choice because they don't shrink and it's cotton so it matched the type of material and it feels good, I'm not a fan of anything scratchy.

Jan in VA 03-12-2012 09:02 AM

My preference:
#1 wool
#2 Quilters Dream cotton
#3 Hobbs Organic cotton

Jan in VA