Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Christmas List (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-christmas-list-t204425.html)

GagaSmith 10-28-2012 09:40 AM

Neither DH or I need anything at all this year so we have decided to give each other the shingles vacination. REALLY weird I know but we both just turned 60 and the shot is over $200 and insurance doesn't cover it. Not a quilt item but if I got shingles I might not be able to quilt so I can justify it as a quilty item.

Tartan 10-28-2012 09:46 AM

I would like one of the rotating cutting mats, every size Twister square in production, X block square, a large gift package of Aurifil threads in neutrals and fabric, fabric, fabric. I nice size gift certificate to my LQS would be great too.

kristakz 10-28-2012 10:00 AM

I don't have anyone to buy me nice quilty gifts for Christmas, since my divorce. But I am seriously considering dropping by my LQS and asking them to make me up a "Surprise package" for a set amount of $. How sad is that?

Helen S 10-28-2012 10:17 AM

We got really tired of returning, or re-gifting of gifts we didn't want, so several years ago DH came up with the idea of buying our own gifts...with rules, of course! lol

The rules?
Discuss a dollar limit.
All gifts must be wrapped and stashed as soon as possible after purchase.
You must still do a stocking for each other, not yourself, and whatever fits into the stocking is ok to buy, no dollar limit set on stockings...hmmm...do I see diamonds in my stocking? lol

We've had so much fun with this. You can't imagine the looks on each others' faces to see what was bought! The funny part of all this is that WE actually forget what we bought for ourselves, so we're almost as surprised as if someone else had bought it for us.

With that said, I'll be buying whatever I want, within our preset dollar limit.

spstout 10-28-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 5618836)
I don't have anyone to buy me nice quilty gifts for Christmas, since my divorce. But I am seriously considering dropping by my LQS and asking them to make me up a "Surprise package" for a set amount of $. How sad is that?

I don't think this is sad at all! I think this is just about the best idea ever. My grandmother, even when my grandfather was still alive, always got herself a great present. That way, she always got something she really wanted! I am stealing this idea! Thank you :)

Tothill 10-28-2012 12:06 PM

Are you participating in the Secret Santa this year? I am and am looking forward to it.

I am married, but dh does not seem to think about me when he buys my gift. Like the year he gave me gold hoops, when my pierced ears had grown over the the 6th time. Last year I got fairly expensive wrinkle cream, I guess I am looking too old for him.

I think you have a good idea in have your LQS doing a surprise package for you.

Jennie and Me 10-28-2012 12:17 PM

Not sad at all!! I think that it is a great idea...go with it! Have them make up two or three gifts for you.

Jennie and Me 10-28-2012 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by owlvamp (Post 5617438)
I asked for my very own home with my very own room for crafts.! LOL

I wonder if I could get that too!!

spokanequilter 10-28-2012 12:31 PM

I have discovered the Wish List on amazon.com. I often browse amazon for books or quilting notions, or anything else that catches my eye. I created a Wish List and add things to it as I find them. My husband and kids and grandkids have done the same thing, so Christmas shopping should be much easier this year.

My list has a lot of quilting books - not necessarily patterns, but books about the history of quiltmaking, Civil War quilts, why quilting matters to us quilters. Hopefully, I will add to my bookcase this Christmas!

Mom3 10-28-2012 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith (Post 5618791)
Neither DH or I need anything at all this year so we have decided to give each other the shingles vacination.............

THAT comment cracked me up! :o:o:o

I realize you will have a professional give you both the inoculation, but my first thought was each of you standing there with a syringe in your hand waiting to give each other the shot. :)