Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting class (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-class-t110424.html)

linda701 03-24-2011 06:32 PM

I am taking my first quilting class next week. what does everyone keep there stuff in while there? Do they give you much space ?

tellabella 03-24-2011 06:51 PM

Depends on the place...keep your supplies in a plastic box...or whatever you use...and label, label, label it all...gets mixed up...

QuiltnNan 03-24-2011 07:19 PM

I made myself a tote that my cutting mat fits in. It has pockets inside for items such as tissues, etc. I also made a chatelaine for around the neck to hold scissors, etc. for quick access. Mine looks like a quilt block and I have my name embroidered on the front so others can remember who I am.

AudreyB 03-24-2011 07:23 PM

I use a plastic shoe box. Be sure to put your name on everything. Things tend to get mixed up at class, and adding your name will help get them back to you. Some quilters use their initials, but this only helps you know it is yours. It doesn't tell everyone else whose it is.

OHSue 03-24-2011 07:34 PM

I like to have a plastic box with all my basics in it so I can grab quickly. Don't forget the seam ripper. Drop in some hard candies or chocolate, too. In fact it is a nice ice breaker if you take a bag of chocolate to the class. I also take along a few plastic bags so if I have to sort stuff it is there. Post Its are a big help, also. I carry the cutting mat seperately.

luckylindy333 03-24-2011 07:40 PM

What great ideas, everybody! I have been to lots of quilt classes, good to know all this stuff!!! Be sure and ask if you need to bring an iron or a cutting board- you never know what they are going to have there. I would ask, too, if they have hot water if you want to make a cup of tea or coffee... Don't forget the cord or foot pedal to your sewing machine (don't ask me how I thought of this one! ). Bring extra needles and thread and bobbins... for your machine...

milp04 03-24-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
What great ideas, everybody! I have been to lots of quilt classes, good to know all this stuff!!! Be sure and ask if you need to bring an iron or a cutting board- you never know what they are going to have there. I would ask, too, if they have hot water if you want to make a cup of tea or coffee... Don't forget the cord or foot pedal to your sewing machine (don't ask me how I thought of this one! ). Bring extra needles and thread and bobbins... for your machine...

Linda has some great comments. Did you receive a supply list when you signed up for the class? If not I would ask for one. She may be going to give you a list at the first class with it being a beginning class. She may want to go over the supply list and show examples and make comments about different supply items. She should also be commenting the pros and cons of what she is suggesting. If in doubt I would give them a call and ask before your first class.

I tend to get thirsty in class. I always have my water or drink in a plastic bottle with a screw on lid. It is always closed except for when I'm taking a drink. This is to avoid spilling. If you have a special drink container make sure that it is capable of closing completely. Some travel mugs do not close completely.

Also depending on how long the class is some people take cushions for the chairs. I would wait until after the first class on this just to see how the room is set up.

Pam M

cjr 03-24-2011 07:47 PM

Painters tape to label blocks. paper plates to keep pieces sorted. Freezer paper for applique

cjr 03-24-2011 07:49 PM

notebook & pencil. Even if handouts are given it is always easier for me to decifer if I write it myself.

Panjo 2 03-24-2011 07:56 PM

I like to take a power board, pin cushion, you really do feel like you are bringing everything except the kitchen sink, better prepared than to be without, I leave things in the car just in case if I am unsure.