Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Classes need hints please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-classes-need-hints-please-t168671.html)

sawsan 11-17-2011 10:14 AM

Quilting Classes need hints please

I like and dreemed of doing quilting and stitching classes for girls who R between 8 and 10
MY problem is that i am not clever enough for organizing such thing
So do u have any helping idea " Where to begin and how any advice i would be greatful :o
Thank u

debcavan 11-17-2011 06:28 PM

When I sew with the ladies in the nursing home, I have a 1/8" high strip of blue painter's tape that marks the seam allowance on the machine. It helps them guide the fabric and have straight seams. I do all the rotary cutting.

jollyquilting 11-17-2011 08:01 PM

Something simple like squares, either 5 or 6 inch sqares go together fast and easy, and forgiving. Also the rail fence is fun and only straight seams, although the squares are only about 6" to keep straight when you are starting. Also, teach them to be able to thread the machine and either make the bobbins with the machine or else use a bobbin maker.
(I wasn't taught to make bobbins and almost quit because I was so troubled) Get one of those klutz gloves to protect those little fingers too. Have fun

ambquilter 11-18-2011 08:28 AM

I have some patterns that I worked on with my daughter at that age. They are pillows that have heart, house, flower, etc. I don't remember what the technique is called but you draw the design on tissue paper then layer 3 pieces of fabric. You will then pin the paper to the top of the fabric and triple stitch on the lines. The pattern tells you in what areas to cut through the paper and one layer of fabric and in what areas to cut throught the paper and two layers of fabric. My daughter was amazed that she made something so cool looking.

If you interested in the information PM me and I will look up the patterns. I may even have an extra one.

Angie

BarbaraSue 11-18-2011 12:39 PM

This can vary according to the craftiness of your young ladies to start with. You might have to start with basic cutting with scissors for them. jollyquilting's idea of rail fence blocks are easy and allow for color matching if they want. you can increase the strips to make a bigger block, and it will take less blocks for them to have to sew. Or a four patch block can be any size and takes two fabrics per block. It can be scrappy. Charms are good for this.
You can teach them to strip piece or the block method.
If you have machines to sew with, you might want to spend time with paper drawings to have them practice guiding the paper to the needle.

Arleners 11-18-2011 06:07 PM

Maybe you could use fabric crayons and have the girls draw pictures on some of the blocks. You then heat set them with an iron. These can then be sewed into the quilt. Then if you just use plain blocks the quilt (or pillow) would still be interesting to the creative artists!

lfstamper 11-18-2011 06:49 PM

Pillow cases are very popular as are simple skirts. Good luck.

Pinkiris 11-18-2011 06:52 PM

I would start with having them practice sewing straight lines, either by hand or by machine. Then I would give them the precut (by you) pieces to make Feffertem's super easy tissue holders. (Look it up by the Search feature). The girls will have a sense of accomplishment in a very short period of time!

Good luck!

Sue

sawsan 11-18-2011 09:26 PM

Thank u ladies for the wonderful thoughts and thanks for the timing u spare to reply i realy love all what i see and read and talk in this board

sharon b 11-18-2011 09:40 PM

Take some squares , have them sew together and make a pillow ?