Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Direction on Borders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-direction-borders-t182302.html)

Kmeyer 03-10-2012 10:06 AM

Quilting Direction on Borders

Every time I get to the bottom row of the quilt I want the quilt to be quilted right side up but my husband says that it should stay with the outside borders and quilt the bottom toward the center which would put the quilting pattern upside down. Which do all of you use when quilting on machine or hand? We are quilting daisies so the daises would be upside down if we did it the way my husband says it should be. I will eat crow if all of you agree with my husband but I think the flowers will look weird if they are upside down. Looking forward to all of your responses.

pdcakm 03-10-2012 10:22 AM

i have seen them done both ways. it is your quilt, what you do is correct. i have the same problem sometimes. just go with what is right for you. if it is for your husband, then maybe, do it his way. if it is for you, do it your way. both are correct. beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so is directional quilting. ha-ha

ckcowl 03-10-2012 10:24 AM

it all depends on the quilt and the design---i have done it both ways some quilts i feel the design needs to face in toward the center- some i keep going across the top- down the sides, across the bottom so when i stand in front of it it is all in the same direction= it is a personal choice---sometimes i have done quilts that just look better with the design framing the center---and quilted it the way your hubby says it should be----maybe draw a couple daisy's on paper- place them on the bottom in his direction & see what you think- then in your direction & see the difference---either way is correct- it is simply your choice to decide which way you like best----framing the center or traveling down the quilt-

Handcraftsbyjen 03-10-2012 11:33 AM

Im sorry to say that I agree with your husband....sorry

QuiltnNan 03-10-2012 12:45 PM

i've seen it done both ways, but i usually do it the way your husband does. but that is only my humble opinion :)

donnajean 03-10-2012 12:48 PM

I agree with your hubby

mpspeedy 03-10-2012 01:03 PM

I have done it the way your husband says because then if you are lying in the bed the pattern is right side up to you when you look toward the foot. I would think to solve the problem for all concerned is to make the pattern with it's bottom toward the center of the quilt. That way the pattern is right side up if you are facing one side at a time. If it bothers you that much make it a pattern that has no right or wrong side.

Sadiemae 03-10-2012 01:20 PM

I have quilted borders both ways, but I usually prefer them to face towards the center just as your DH does.

TanyaL 03-10-2012 01:24 PM

Which border are you talking about? A border lying atop the mattress would be quilted differently than a border hanging down on the edge of the mattress.

mighty 03-10-2012 01:26 PM

Depends on design but usually like dh.