Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Dresden Plates? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-dresden-plates-t194069.html)

Skittl1321 07-09-2012 07:44 AM

Quilting Dresden Plates?

I've made up a bunch of Dresden Plate blocks in hopes of making a bed quilt. (Hopefully- I'm having a tough time figuring out how to lay them out to get the dimensions right... I am out of fabric at 21 blocks, so I need either a lot of sashing, or filler blocks- but that is another story.)

Since I am trying to plan out the entire quilt, I first wanted to think of how to quilt it. And this is where I am having trouble. The blocks are 16". I will have to quilt over the plate, I can't just quilt around it.

I kind of would like to enter this into a show or two (low key, like state fair)- so I think stippling is not the way to go. They always seem to prefer quilting specific to the quilt.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to quilt Dresden plates, recognizing that I will need to quilt on the plate itself?

Thanks!

gollytwo 07-09-2012 07:49 AM

I'd quilt 1/4" inside each blade, then a wide-spaced echo around the plate and finally around each square (whether you sash or not).

nyleve 07-09-2012 07:50 AM

Why will you have to quilt over the plate?Would you not be able to stitch in the ditch around each wedge and then stipple or echo around the entire plate.

auntpiggylpn 07-09-2012 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo (Post 5350654)
I'd quilt 1/4" inside each blade, then a wide-spaced echo around the plate and finally around each square (whether you sash or not).

:thumbup: This is what I would do too!

dunster 07-09-2012 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was completely enchanted by this one at a MQX West last year.

Skittl1321 07-09-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by nyleve (Post 5350656)
Why will you have to quilt over the plate?Would you not be able to stitch in the ditch around each wedge and then stipple or echo around the entire plate.

I have to quilt over the plate because they are about 14" wide. The batting needs to be quilted at 12" max.

When you say around each wedge- do you mean inside the plate? That would be a form of quilting on the plate. If you just mean around the outside, and not on the plate, then I haven't quilted close enough.

SITD is a good one to consider, but I think I like the idea of 1/4" inside each blade.

Skittl1321 07-09-2012 08:40 AM

dunster - wow- that is GORGEOUS. I don't think mine will look like that though :) First, because I'm just not that good, second because it looks like it was appliqued onto wholecloth, and I have blocks.

I thought about alternating the Dresden blocks with a blank block (since I don't have enough plates for the full quilt), so I could do medallions in those. That would probably look neat. I do wonder if the quilting will get too dense for a bed though. Maybe it would be a good opportunity to brush up on my trapunto.

117becca 07-09-2012 09:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
That looks beautiful!!! I'm hand-quilting a dresden plate and this is how I am doing it(the blocks are 17 inches square...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]347734[/ATTACH]

This is what the back looks like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]347735[/ATTACH]

jcrow 07-09-2012 10:21 AM

I made a dresden plate quilt and it was quilted 1/4" inside each wedge. I had it LAd by a gal and she used matching thread for each color of each dresden wedge. It turned out beautifully.

AndiR 07-09-2012 10:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few I've done for customers that might give you some ideas: