Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting flannel fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-flannel-fabric-t216026.html)

Nanny's dollface 03-10-2013 01:14 PM

Quilting flannel fabric

I have some flannel fabric and was thinking of making a regular quilt with various size blocks and rails. Thinking of quilting it with Stitch in the ditch and maybe some meandering. ( I want to make something other than a rag quilt with the flannel. )
Any ideas and recommendations from more experienced quilters when using flannel?
Thanks.

PaperPrincess 03-10-2013 01:18 PM

Wash & dry it until it stops shrinking. Sometimes it takes a couple cycles. I've always done a quilt design that goes across the seams (like a meander) to keep everything together. I've also just used 1/4" seams although others use a wider seam. I also starch before cutting.

hisgrace1 03-10-2013 01:30 PM

I have made a few with flannel....didn't prewash....did use a 1/4 inch seam with 2.0 stitch....did a rail fence and stitched in the ditch...one I have sitting by me right now love it

ckcowl 03-10-2013 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i make tons of flannel quilts and quilts that include flannel- i mix regular cottons & flannels all the time- i love working with flannels. you can make any quilt you want with flannel- it's just a softer cotton than the regular cottons. one year our lqs was offering a (saturday sampler) program with different star blocks each month- they offered it in 30's fabric, batiks & flannels- i chose to do all 3...it was GREAT- all 3 different (styles) of fabric made very different looking blocks - the flannel one was definitly my favorite finished quilt- and i had 3 family memebers almost fighting over who should get it.
i know people tend to (freak out) over pre-washing flannels----some people wash them over & over again multiple times- (then complain they pill)
i do not always pre-wash my flannels- if the are kind of thin- a loose weave i will pre-wash them (once) and dry them in a hot dryer- to tighten up the weave & give them more body- but if they are nice (meaty) flannels i don't always-unless they are a dark-saturated color i'm worried about running- and when i do pre-wash i only wash them once- gently-on a short cycle- then dry in hot dryer- i''ve been using flannels for 40+ years and haven't had any *after the fact* problems with having not pre-washed.
here's a picture of the (all flannels-some pre-washed some not) crazy patch work quilt i made for my sister a couple years ago- it also has a flannel backing & hobby 80/20 batting

[ATTACH=CONFIG]400980[/ATTACH]

Prism99 03-10-2013 01:36 PM

I prewash flannel and dry it twice. Then I heavily starch it before cutting. I use .5" seams because flannel can ravel. To quilt I also heavily starch the backing before layering. I prefer spray basting because it holds the layers together better. All these precautions keep flannel from stretching and distorting on me while piecing and quilting.

Nanny's dollface 03-10-2013 08:24 PM

Thank- you everyone for your guidance. I am glad to learn that I can use flannel to make quilts other than rag quilts.

Nanny's dollface 03-10-2013 08:25 PM

Wow, never thought flannel could be combined with non flannel fabrics. Love the crazy patch work quilt.
Thank-you for your recommendations.

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5919394)
i make tons of flannel quilts and quilts that include flannel- i mix regular cottons & flannels all the time- i love working with flannels. you can make any quilt you want with flannel- it's just a softer cotton than the regular cottons. one year our lqs was offering a (saturday sampler) program with different star blocks each month- they offered it in 30's fabric, batiks & flannels- i chose to do all 3...it was GREAT- all 3 different (styles) of fabric made very different looking blocks - the flannel one was definitly my favorite finished quilt- and i had 3 family memebers almost fighting over who should get it.
i know people tend to (freak out) over pre-washing flannels----some people wash them over & over again multiple times- (then complain they pill)
i do not always pre-wash my flannels- if the are kind of thin- a loose weave i will pre-wash them (once) and dry them in a hot dryer- to tighten up the weave & give them more body- but if they are nice (meaty) flannels i don't always-unless they are a dark-saturated color i'm worried about running- and when i do pre-wash i only wash them once- gently-on a short cycle- then dry in hot dryer- i''ve been using flannels for 40+ years and haven't had any *after the fact* problems with having not pre-washed.
here's a picture of the (all flannels-some pre-washed some not) crazy patch work quilt i made for my sister a couple years ago- it also has a flannel backing & hobby 80/20 batting

[ATTACH=CONFIG]400980[/ATTACH]

QM 03-10-2013 09:03 PM

the quality of the flannel makes a huge difference, but I agree about prewashing. The one I have on my bed is a modified Drunkard's Path. I used 3/8" seams, but probably could have used 1/4". This flannel is super deluxe and feels like it. (Same quality of flannel on the back.)

SherriB 03-11-2013 04:18 AM

I have used flannel for quilts, mostly backs, but didn't pre-wash my flannel. I get my flannel from Hobby Lobby most of the time and use a 40% off coupon. It is good quality and doesn't shrink much at all. And after dozens of washings, it pills very little.

Quiltngolfer 03-11-2013 06:56 AM

I have made 2 large flannel bed quilts. I tied them both because I was afraid the quilting would make them even heavier. My mother-in-law told me to tie them because that's what she always did back when she made quilts. They both turned out pretty good, but I like the look of quilting better. The flannel was very high quality and thick. HEAVY quilts.