Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with Flannel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-flannel-t183326.html)

DeMaris 03-19-2012 07:29 AM

Quilting with Flannel

I have never quilted with flannel. I am in search of some pretty flannel fabric and I was wondering which company has the highest quality for the price? I don't think I have every even bought flannel...so please help me!!!

I don't prewash my quilting cotton as I find it quilts on the longarm much better without prewashing and I am happy with the results of that.

With that in mind, do you prewash your flannel or not???? If I don't prewash will it weird up when it is washed if washed properly the 1st time out???

Please help me!!!

fivepaws 03-19-2012 07:36 AM

I have no idea who makes the best flannel and will watch this post to see. I made an adorable IMO bear quilt out of flannel. It is in the rag style. After repeated washings to get it to "rag", it is all nubby. I am not sure that I will give it as it already looks used. How disappointing. I bought "quilting flannel" hoping that would work. Wrong.

quiltlady37 03-19-2012 07:38 AM

flannel shrinks quite a bit, so I always wash and dry flannel before using it.

nycquilter 03-19-2012 08:03 AM

as usual, I tend to differ from what "most" do. I rarely prewash anything as I love the feel of the new fabric. Even with flannel, I usually don't prewash. I use flannel to back most of my quilts too and haven't ever had a problem. But, I've bought cheap flannel ($1/yard) that I have prewashed. After washing it, it thickens up and is no longer cheap and flimsy. It works well too.

jfowles 03-19-2012 08:18 AM

I just quilted a couple of flannel baby quilts, one I washed the flannel first, the other I didn't. I like the look and feel of new fabric, so I prefer the one I didn't wash for giving as a gift. The washed one just looked......washed, with more puckering and shrinkage. I also needed to get rid of the markings I put on it for quilting, so I washed it after it was completed too. One way or the other they are going to be washed so I think it is just a personal preference.

BellaBoo 03-19-2012 08:53 AM

It really makes it easier to starch and press the flannel before cutting. I make mine stiff like cardboard.

Shankquilt 03-19-2012 09:05 AM

Please don't buy flannel from Joann's. I made a rag quilt from flannel from there and it shrank so bad that it popped the stiches on the X's I made on the blocks. I was not happy. You don't want to pre-wash flannel for a rag quilt--that's part of the fluffing process after the quilt is sewn.

BellaBoo 03-19-2012 09:30 AM

Connecting Threads has very good flannel in pretty prints.

Lucio 03-19-2012 09:30 AM

Joann's flannel is absolute junk. You can count the threads, see through it, it shrinks and pills like mad. If you have some that you purchased a few years ago you can really tell the dfference. That being said, I need some flannel for quilt backs for my children's charity quilts. Can you tell me about the quality of flannel at Hobby Lobby? I hate to drive 30 miles to find that it's also poor quality.

ImMiksMom 03-19-2012 10:23 AM

I just finished my first quilt which was flannel - I used Moda and was very happy with it. I did prewash and the shrinkage was not as bad as the flannel I got from Joannes for pj pants - that shrank so much it had to add a cuff to the pants!