Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting and getting depressed-Update check thread further down (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-getting-depressed-update-check-thread-further-down-t3315.html)

kathy 11-26-2007 04:00 AM

Deb, if it's not good take it out and do it over. I suggest using some basting spray along with pins or thread basting. Go slowly and don't try to do a large area at one time. I know it's a pain but you will not be happy if you settle for less than you know you want. You can do it although it may not be easy. Go for it girl!

mimisharon 11-26-2007 05:50 AM

Deb,
Don't be depressed over this...it happens to ALL quilters. It's a matter of thinking through the situation and how it will make you happy. Did you prewash? Are the wrinkles small enough that they will make the quilt look "aged"? Are the puckers really as big as you think or is it the agony of "perfection" dogging you?

Hang the quilt over a rod and let it "hang ease" a little to see if that helps any. Then think about the length of quilting stitches, are they so tight they are pulling your fabric? What foot are you using? Is it maybe displacing the fabrics? (I've had that happen and it really gets my goat!!!!) And get the spray, it's worth the cost to help keep everything in place.

WE all know you can do this and make it a work of art. Put perfection behind you and think about WHO you're doing this wonderful work for, the depression will go away with relaxing and enjoyment!!

Hugs,
Sharon

jbsstrawberry 11-26-2007 06:58 AM

{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}} The beauty of your quilt comes from the love and heart you've put into it sweety. Puckers or no...that will always show through!!

vicki reno 11-26-2007 07:07 AM

I am a perfectionist and it seems that I am dissatisfied with every project that I do. I have learned over the years (lots of them) that I am the only perfectionist in my circle of family and friends. No one seems to otice things that look postively glaring to me. Like a lot of others, I have been tempted to fling it across the room or stomp on it or watever. But I find for me, that just setting it aside for a while works just as well as pitching a fit. If you are dissatisfied now, you perhaps will not be encouraged to take it slowly and think that it will be okay in the end. So walk away from it, go have some chocolate, go outside, go shoping, whatever is possible to take your mind off of it even if its just for a little while. Then go back to it. You'll be gald you did. You'll be more relaxed and if you indulge in even a little chocolate, you will fell like you could take on the whole world and still come out on top. Thats my ten cents worth--it was too long to be anickels worth :lol:

DebJ 11-27-2007 10:35 PM

Well, just so you know I did baste with those basting pins. Perhapes I should also added some thread basting. I also did take out some of the earliest in the center stitching I wasn't happy with and redid it. However if I stopped and took out everything everytime it wasn't pleasing me I don't think this would ever be finished, so I just did the best I could and kept going. I've done all I can &/or will, it is down to putting the binding on now. Also perhapes this what drove me to take advantage of cyberMonday and go in debt a bit more by ordering me a camera that hopefully I can get some decent pictures with it, to post on here or ebay if I ever try again and succeed in doing something worth trying to sell. Even if it is ceramic ornaments like I sell, when I can. I need to be able to take good pictures. Thanks to all of you for the encouagement. This has been the toughest time I have ever had with a quilt, so much so I even thought about giving it up. However, I have too much invested and I really enjoy the piecing and applique. Now if I can just get better at doing the bigger quilts. So far the smaller things haven't been a problem. Thank you all again. :?

hokieappmom 01-07-2008 11:31 AM

I'm late seeing this post so it may be irrelevant now. I, too, was disappointed with my stitch in the ditch on my last quilt. A friend told me to wash it after I finished all the quilting, and I wouldn't notice the imperfection nearly as much. She was so right! I was thrilled with my quilt after I washed it! (And I pre-wash all my fabric)