Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with Girl Scouts...Help?! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-girl-scouts-help-t211977.html)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-25-2013 02:56 PM

As a long time scout leader, I agree with Bella. Mothers are much worse than the kids! Most rules are needed to govern pushy moms.

lots2do 01-25-2013 04:21 PM

Big nine patches might be easy but attractive too.

NJ Quilter 01-25-2013 06:22 PM

What about a simple 4 patch alternating with a plain block? Gives them a clue of strip piecing; no points to match up and easy as pie. Then birth and tie the quilts? Could some of the adults cut the strips ahead? I've helped my niece's 4th grade class do a similar project in the past. Have another upcoming one in a month or so. The adults did all the cutting ahead and there were no machines. All the kids sewed by hand. Since they are working with machines you should be able to get a reasonable number of quilts done, especially if they are rotating stations.

ktbb 01-25-2013 06:29 PM

how about the 1600 quilt = otherwiseknown as the fastest quilt top ever.....precut 2.5 inch strips, have them stitch them together end to end, fold, stitch the long side, fold, etc. You can always add appliques if you want more than strips.

cathyvv 01-25-2013 06:29 PM

Agree with this. I've had 3 niece/nephews do just a big 4 patch as their first projects and they loved doing it and making them. It's a quick success for them and me!

nycquilter 01-26-2013 04:44 AM

Anita Grossman Solomon published a pattern for a 3-fabric quilt. You use three different but coordinating fabrics cut one yard each, and the yield is three tops. I think it was published by Quiltmaker Magazine and may even be available on their website. It is minimal cutting and piecing but you get really cute quilts.

carslo 01-26-2013 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5813120)
How about the Magic Crazy Patch Blocks that Carslo posted the instructions for? You could have someone cutting strips, someone sewing the strips into stratas, someone cutting the stratas into blocks, someone sewing two blocks together, someone cutting the X and several people sewing the tops. You may have to do the cutting with the rotary cutter if the girls are young.

This would be a perfect pattern for the girls. I worked with Girl Guides of Canada for 25 years before moving to the USA and I would have done this with Guides or Pathfinders aka Juniors of Cadettes (do they still call them that here in the USA) The girls would not have to have "perfect seams" because if they are a little wonky it wouldn't matter!

Maureen 01-31-2013 07:48 PM

I think D9P would be great. Cut all the squares ahead of time and let them do the rest

Monroe 01-31-2013 10:13 PM

I've done pillowcases with sewers as young as 7 as well as newbies of all ages. The jelly roll quilts are also easy for newbies. How about the quick strippie on Maryquilts.com? Looks impressive, all straight seams. Mix and match 3 fabrics- nothing simpler, no seams to match. Or rows of pieced 6 1/2" squares alternating with width of fabric strips. Again- no seams to match. The most giggles seemed to come from the pillowcases being unrolled. I'll be making more for a local hospital Saturday with a church TLC group. Members are 8 to almost 90. For more experienced sewers- I agree with many of the other great suggestions.

GrannieAnnie 01-31-2013 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kcmomto2 (Post 5813092)
Not sure if there was a past thread with this topic, but does anyone have any pointers, EASY patterns, best practices, etc. for leading Fourteen 11 yr old, Junior Girl Scouts, eager to sew in making baby quilts for a local charitable organization? (It's not Project Linus, this time...) We'll have approx. 4 hours total start to finish. We can prepare some aspects of the materials ahead of time, but need to leave a lot of the steps to these enthusiastic and very capable young ladies. There will be five or six sewing machines available. Any thoughts?

If you get to chose the fabric, I'd be tempted to find panels and then just frame them out. I'm assuming each girl will do one? I'd think you'd need ever bit of four hours to sandwich and pin and sew and tack.