Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Gloves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-gloves-t75928.html)

danade 11-14-2010 10:13 AM

Please, please do try Machingers. They fit just like a second skin (though a second skin with nice slip-minimizing fingertips). I frequently forget I have mine on when I'm sewing and am surprised when I notice them on my hands when I get up to get a drink of water or whatever, that's how well they fit. Not bulky or clumsy in any way. I think a S/M would work best for most hands.

Dana

catrancher 11-14-2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by MiMi in Lutz

Originally Posted by catrancher

Originally Posted by Candace
I use the cheapo ones from Joannes (Fons and Porter) They're great. They help grip the fabric while machine quilting and assist in controlling the movement of the sandwich.

Sorry, don't want to offend anyone, and I'll just say . . . to each his own. But I HATED these gloves. Thread sticks to them and even violent shaking fails to dislodge it. Also, I had to take them off every time I stopped to do something because the fingertips are too clumsy for me. I switched to Machingers and they are great. Solved all my problems.

I have never used the Machingers....are you saying the loose threads do not stick to them? I use the Grabaroos and really do love them. But, yes the threads do stick to them. I just looked online at the Machingers and it looks like they would be clumbsy...big and bulky. Are they? What I like about the Grabaroos is that they actually fit. They stretch where they need to and stay put where they should. But, the do pick up all the loose threads.

No, they are not bulky and loose threads do not stick to them. You need to get a good fit, however, and there is a chart on Leah Day's blog at:

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/machingers.htm

I love mine. Only the finger tips are rubber, and the rest is some sort of net-like cloth. They breathe and they are comfortable. Check the fit though. I used this chart, and mine fit perfectly.

fktsewing 11-14-2010 07:17 PM

I have a pair of the heavier ones that are like winter gloves and they are way too thick and bulky. I just bought myself a pair of the Fons & Porter ones, and I love them. I can still feel everything and it is so much easier to move the fabric with them.

Dee 11-14-2010 08:56 PM

I have a pair from Harbor Frt. They do just fine.

rwehavingfunyet 11-14-2010 09:49 PM

FMQ is Free Motion quilting

sueisallaboutquilts 11-14-2010 10:27 PM

I'm on a fabric diet but I didn't say anything about gloves.
Thanks for your opinions, everyone!! :D

yellowsnow55 11-15-2010 01:00 AM

Use mine all the time for all free motion work and love them

rportz 11-15-2010 06:07 AM

I have a pair and hand quilt it helps my hand from hurting when I quilt for a long time. I use them all the time and they do make a difference for me.

bonniebusybee 11-15-2010 01:55 PM

I use latex-P (powdered) gloves from the pharmacy. They come in various sizes (I use a small), and I think I paid about $5 or $6 for a box of 50. I always hand-quilt, and have had some problems (like hand-quilting a warm & natural batt) that I could not have solved without them. They are wonderful for grip, and help alleviate minor arthritis pains as well. The only drawback is that you sometimes perspire in them, but they can be re-powdered with baby powder when you remove them. Sometimes I cut the tips off the fingers and use just the tips, when the glove is beginning to wear out. Couldn't function without them! :thumbup:

Annya 11-30-2010 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom
Does anyone use them? What is the purpose and do they work?

Believe it or not I use garden gloves with the rubber dots on the palm, I could never afford the real thing. They are handy when you have handled fabric all day and your hands are smooth. The dots help you handle the fabric while you are sewing.