Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Goal (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-goal-t183208.html)

clsurz 03-18-2012 07:20 AM

Quilting Goal

I had told myself that for 2012 I wanted to make at least one child's charity quilt a week but here it is March and I've already fallen behind. I am however going to work towards that goal and get as close to it as possible by the end of the year.

So this weekend I've spent my time cutting through my stash and busting it out. I have managed to cut starting with all my scraps from 2 1/2 inch to 6 1/2 inch squares and building up tops to be sewed and than putting each tops pieces in plastic bags and labeling them.

These will not be complicated quilt blankets for sure if I plan to do that many in a year and it will help displaced children out of there homes, homeless, and protective shelter where moms go with there children to get away from horrible men who would abuse them.

Any scraps left from what I'm cutting I will eventually use in some craft project that I will create as I go along. Most likely some type of scrappy project. I did several of those last year and folks around here are in awe of how it turns out.

So now that it is heating up around here and will soon be in the high 90s and into the 100 degree summer will be a good time to catch up on it since it will be to hot to be outside. Will rather stay indoors and do something creative where it is air-conditioned.

I plan to talk to a long arm quilter (in one of the guilds I belong to) to see if she is willing to quilt them for me for FREE and she and I will both get credit for making these to give away to folks that can really do them. Of course I hope to self teach myself free motion quilting and do some that way as well.

I'm pretty much done with planting my veggies, already enjoying some of it, and rest will come in the weeks ahead. I will still find time at least a couple times a month to play with dyeing my own fabrics and have already been putting UGLY fabric away for that purpose.

Now I must go back to my cutting room and cut more fabric for this project. Later!

eann 03-18-2012 07:27 AM

You have set a very high goal for yourself!!! The little I know you from this board, y ou will accomplish it! Many Blessings for your charitable heart!

mighty 03-18-2012 07:38 AM

I admire you, you are one busy lady!!

An Arm Long 03-18-2012 10:01 AM

That is admirable. I could never do one a week. Perhaps one a month!

Raggiemom 03-18-2012 11:15 AM

That's an ambitious goal, I wish you the best of luck achieiving it. What veggies are you enjoying already--peas?

clsurz 03-19-2012 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom (Post 5070735)
That's an ambitious goal, I wish you the best of luck achieiving it. What veggies are you enjoying already--peas?

Peas not quite yet although they are growing up the vine. I've had radishes, spinach so far. Very soon potatoes, strawberries, red onions, carrots and later peppers and tomatoes and much later squash, cucmbers, eggplant.

nhweaver 03-19-2012 05:34 AM

Wow - you are motivated! Keep us informed as the donations quilts are finished!!!

tate_elliott 03-20-2012 01:40 PM

One a week!? I've been trying to do one a month since late last year. I've been on schedule mostly. As you say, I don't make complicated quilts, but try to make them nice. I just straight-line quilt them and self bind them, as both are quicker. The group I quilt for, Quilts for Kids, said that they didn't get many quilts for older boys, so I've been working on themes for them - sports, cars, etc.

Tate

Jim's Gem 03-20-2012 03:31 PM

That is quite the goal!!!! What a wonderful goal too. I hope that you can come close to reaching it!!!

joyce888 03-20-2012 04:34 PM

Sending you words of encouragement to keep you headed towards your goal. Me I'm taking all of my juvenile flannel and making raggedy edge quilts for project Linus kids.