Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting guilds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-guilds-t81493.html)

patski 12-08-2010 01:31 PM

Hi, anyone out there part o a guild? What do you get out of being part of one?

Worth the time and money? Is it just about meetings or more?

sueisallaboutquilts 12-08-2010 01:33 PM

Guilds don't work for me b/c they've been way too big. But that's just me.

shequilts 12-08-2010 01:52 PM

Same here. My guild grew (rapidly) from 20 to 85. No comaraderie, just a very structured "meeting".
I want to socialize and stitch with friends who are not in competition, who show and tell without expecting to be considered the "best of show", who know everyone and without being asked are right there for the support and/or comfort of the members.
In January, I plan to start up a small group in my home. No name, no agenda, no dues. A gathering of friends with no expectations. They will have room to stitch, chairs for rocking and an empty table for snacks if they so desire to bring them. If not, thast's OK too.
I'm through with guilds.

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Guilds don't work for me b/c they've been way too big. But that's just me.

thepolyparrot 12-08-2010 01:56 PM

I joined a local guild back in February, but I haven't made it to a meeting since then. If I don't just plain forget the meetings, they fall on a day in which I have too much to do to get away or I've got company in or something.

Our guild does a LOT of stuff - there are always all kinds of activities going on - road trips and classes and swaps, guest speakers, etc. Every guild is different, but I think most of them will do whatever level of activity that can be supported by the membership.

I think all of them will be happy for you to drop in and attend a meeting as a guest, too. Try it and see what yours offers. I'll bet people will be friendly and welcoming. :)

MinnieKat 12-08-2010 01:58 PM

Welcome from Minnesota! I belonged to a guild for a while but the "meeting" part of it was just too much for me.

Sadiemae 12-08-2010 02:05 PM

Hello, and welcome from Idaho! I don't go to meetings anymore, because I couldn't afford it and the gas.

mommamac 12-08-2010 02:10 PM

I belong to a guild (20 or less members) & love it - so much so that since I relocated a year ago, I travel a hour to get there (how crazy is that!) We always have a group quilt in some stage of construction, do a challenge every year, have mini lessons at meetings, quilt for charities, share projects & tips, bounce ideas off one another ....

The guild where I now live is quite large from what I hear so I never went - small groups fit me well. Cost is minimal - 15/yr. & we get State Newletter, VIP discount from JoAnn's, materials for group projects and friendship. One of our members is a longarm quilter & she gives us 10% discount.

Cyn 12-08-2010 02:15 PM

I don't belong to one because I hate structure!

greensleeves 12-08-2010 03:09 PM

I love my guild. Meetings are once a week, business meeting once a month with show and tell. The rest of the time will be classes, charity quilting, or just doing your own thing which always includes lots of chitchat. We have hand and machine quilters as well as art quilters. Its nice to have the diversity. You should give a guild a try, some like them, some don't.

crazyforquilting 12-08-2010 03:38 PM

I belong to a small guild and I love it. The ladies are great. We have a meeting once a month and show and tell. We have a day retreat once a month where we learn a new project. Everyone helps one another.