Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting and jury duty (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-jury-duty-t46293.html)

sahm4605 05-18-2010 06:30 AM

eh. I got a summons a few months back and was able to get out of it till september because I am breast feeding my son. Like I will be done by then. Stupid people. But do you think they will let me take a quilt in to finish hand quilting the binding on? the same with flying. you are only using a very very very small needle. do you think that I could get away with bringing my quilting stuff? at least the quilt and the thread and the needle? Stupid criminals, getting in the way of my life. I am happy to serve but wish that I could bring my children with. Maybe will do that on selection day. hehe. at least my son who will still be breast feeding at a year and some days old.

sewnsewer2 05-18-2010 06:40 AM

Nope, I think the court would frown upon that. :lol:

QBeth 05-18-2010 06:40 AM

On a recent trip to Seattle (from Boston), I brought some needlework which required a needle, thread, and one of those thread cutters medallions you can hang around your neck. I've seen women with knitting -- that was surprising!

Calif Jane 05-18-2010 06:47 AM

I've carried knitting on several domestic and international flights. So, I'd bet there is not a problem with needlework.

Maride 05-18-2010 06:48 AM

In nY you can't even bring a book.

Charlee 05-18-2010 06:53 AM

At least for selection day, you should be able to bring handwork...just don't try to bring scissors, no matter how small....take a pair of nail clippers for thread, or get a clover medallion thread cutter...if you actually get selected, you should be able to do handwork on your breaks if you want....

azdesertrat 05-18-2010 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
eh. I got a summons a few months back and was able to get out of it till september because I am breast feeding my son. Like I will be done by then. Stupid people. But do you think they will let me take a quilt in to finish hand quilting the binding on? the same with flying. you are only using a very very very small needle. do you think that I could get away with bringing my quilting stuff? at least the quilt and the thread and the needle? Stupid criminals, getting in the way of my life. I am happy to serve but wish that I could bring my children with. Maybe will do that on selection day. hehe. at least my son who will still be breast feeding at a year and some days old.

Usuall we have to call the day before to make sure our service wasnt cancelled or postponed.and on the recording they will tell you to bring something sucha sa book to read,I would call them and ask if you could bring your handwork,all they can say is no

raptureready 05-18-2010 07:06 AM

Here you can't take cell phones, pagers, fingernail clippers, sewing needles, small scissors, or knitting needles into the courthouse. They won't let you carry a second bag in at all unless you work there. Call ahead and check if you could take a small bag of sewing to do in your down time.

JackieG 05-18-2010 07:18 AM

No children. I was a jury clerk for many years. That's not a place for children.

sewjoyce 05-18-2010 07:27 AM

I just got a letter notifying me that I was being called for jury duty from July to Oct. :cry: