Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Labels on Quilts you Gift..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-labels-quilts-you-gift-t104249.html)

GloriaC 03-01-2011 09:34 PM

Using a script design on the last quilt I made a label which reads

Made Especially for
my grandson
Braxton Threatt
by
Gloria Cauthen
January 2011
Blind stitched it on the back and it really does look nice.

sharoney 03-01-2011 09:36 PM

I always put a label on gift quilts- to and from, date, occasion, maybe with a little flower or bug or seashell drawing.

GwynR 03-01-2011 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like to label my quilts. I have a friend with a printing shop make mine for me. She does a fantastic job. They don't fade, costs just a few dollars, and makes a super nice finish. I even have had a photo of me with my Pfaff added to a couple of them. That was my moms idea! I can call her or send an email with what I want and she can mail it to me or I can run and pick up. Its perfect every time.
Thinking I need to redo this signature though.....that's all me, not Sara! :oops: :D

Deecee 03-01-2011 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I always add a label using a pic and something relevant to the quilt. I also keep a quilting journal with fabric swatches and info about the quilt as well as pics.

Apart from keeping track of the quilts you have made, it makes a personal touch to finish off a quilt.

Shelbie 03-02-2011 03:23 AM

An artist signs their paintings so a quilter should sign their quilts. It doesn't have to be a fancy label. You can often buy pre-printed label panels in a variety of designs. I then use my Pigma Pen to fill in the appropriate information, iron it to set the ink and back it with lightweight stabilizer to encase the edges and then top stitch it by machine into the bottom corner where an artist would sign a painting. Most of my quilt buddies stitch their labels on the back but I put mine on the front, lower left corner!

sewcrafty 03-02-2011 03:25 AM

I put labels on the backs of my quilts for 2 reasons:

1) One as dementia sets in I can actually remember when and what for; :lol:

2) Future reference to say family members down the road.

There are a lot of sayings that you can put on. Here's a site of sayings that I've found.

http://thegoldenthimble.com/quiltdedications.html

hobbykat1955 03-02-2011 03:33 AM

Yes to labeling. I have an embroidery machine and just embroider the information right ont he back. When it's a baby quilt I put down all the info re: the newborn. Name, Weight, length, Date of Birth, City and town of birth...
I also take photo's of all my quilts and have albums with their names...usually name all my quilts and to whom given...I realized a few mths ago when I was asked the name of a fabric I now need to keep a swatch with the salvage of it's name in that album also...

jbud2 03-02-2011 05:10 AM

My sister hooks rugs and she labels all her rugs and numbers them. Her 50th rug she made for herself on her 50th birthday. Gifts I label so they know what the pattern is and when I made it for them. Quilts I know that are going to stay home with us aren't labeled. Funny story - I made a flannel quilt for at home and practiced FMQ on it. I thought I am going to 'write ' my name and year on the quilt as I sew. I CAN NOT find it - I know I did it!!

CarrieAnne 03-02-2011 05:18 AM

I am just learning on my little machine. Its really fun, I want to be able to make labels too!

dmyers 03-02-2011 05:20 AM

[quote=GwynR]I like to label my quilts. I have a friend with a printing shop make mine for me. She does a fantastic job. They don't fade, costs just a few dollars, and makes a super nice finish. I even have had a photo of me with my Pfaff added to a couple of them. That was my moms idea! I can call her or send an email with what I want and she can mail it to me or I can run and pick up. Its perfect every time.
Thinking I need to redo this signature though.....that's all me, not Sara! :oops: :D[/quote

These are cute...can you pm me with the information? I usually just embroider mine.
Darby