Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-machine-t156797.html)

luv2sew4 09-29-2011 10:27 AM

My husband has offered many times to buy me a quilting machine but every time I start compairing them I get overwhelmed. Does anyone have any advise, suggestions, preferences & why? I only plan to use it for personal use & don't want to spend our retirement fund to purchase it.

jljack 09-29-2011 10:30 AM

Best to go with a "hobby" quilting machine - 16-18"..they go for anywhere from $5000 to $8000.

patski 09-29-2011 10:31 AM

I have the sweet sixteen handi quilter, its a sit down machine and with the table I spent $3,500. I have done as large as a kingsized quilt

fabric_fancy 09-29-2011 10:34 AM

i too wanted a setup that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

DH & i do not have any debt and i wasn't about to take a loan for a setup either.

i purchased a used frame with all the extras from craigs list for $600 - i got the Grace Pinnacle because it went up to king size and could handle an 18 inch throat if i ever decide to upgrade.

then i purchased the Juki 98Q new when the 2010 models came out for $450.

so my setup came to $1050 which left me some money for rulers and pantos.

if you don't mind used you can pick up some great deals - i waited about a year for my setup but it was well worth the wait considering how much money i saved.

luv2sew4 09-29-2011 10:39 AM

That sounds like something I'm looking for. How long have you had it? Any real problems?
I hadn't thought of Craig's List. Thanks.

btiny36 09-29-2011 10:40 AM

Tin Lizzie is a great price for longarm machines. I love mine. So for price and quality, I would look at the Tin Lizzie machines.

Zhillslady 09-29-2011 11:03 AM

I have the Grace Start Right frame and Juki 2000 combo which came with leaders, clamps, light and everything ready to get going for $1699

scowlkat 09-29-2011 05:25 PM

I agree that the Handi Quilter Sit Down 16 is awesome! However, if you are looking for a frame set up, craigslist or the Yahoo group Sew It's For Sale are two good places to check.

amandasgramma 09-29-2011 05:59 PM

My advice:

Whatever machine you can afford, buy one that has a shop/repairman/support near you -- the closest.

TEST the machines. I love the HQ Avante for the "lightness" of the touch. I tested others this last weekend at a quilt show and felt the big-time-expensive ones weren't to my liking.

Consider SPACE. Yes, the table may be 12 feet long........but you need at least 2 feet at each end and enough space to comfortably get behind the machine.

Good luck!

SharBear 09-29-2011 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
I agree that the Handi Quilter Sit Down 16 is awesome! However, if you are looking for a frame set up, craigslist or the Yahoo group Sew It's For Sale are two good places to check.

love, love, love this machine. my mom got one and i've had the pleasure of using it a couple of times. very easy to use with great results