Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting on a machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-machine-t27063.html)

grannysherry 10-15-2009 06:53 AM

For all you experienced ladies that quilt on a machine. Do you quilt the entire quilt at one time or do you divide it into sections and then put it together. If you sew it all at one time, how do you fold, roll or whatever to get it under your machine? Also I am thinking about ordering Penny's book, "Quilting for Beginners". Does anyone know about this book and is it worth the $60.00 to order it? Grannysherry

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-15-2009 07:19 AM

I'm not really qualified to answer this because, as the name states, I'm a Wanna-b. That being said, my one and only real quilt was sort of done following Fun and Done from Bayside quilting. I made regular blocks and them quilted them onto backing pieces like the Fun and Done pattern. Here is a link to that.

https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284

This second link looks like a good way to quilt in sections if your pattern doesn't lend itsself to sashings.

http://creativeribbons.blogspot.com/...as-you-go.html

All the real quilters on here will have great ideas for you. These are just how I worked out my situation. I have limited skills and a tiny sewing machine, so this worked for me.

Good luck!

Maride 10-15-2009 07:37 AM

You can do it either way. I usually do it all at once, but one particular quilt I did was so big I couldn't get battin big enough, so I did a quilt as you go method. There are different techniques for that and I am sure someone else will jump in and help.

what I did was to make my blocks 21 x 21, layer them and quilt them. when they were all done, I sewd them together with a wide zig-zag stitch. One side had binding on the front and the back. After joining them together I folded the binding over to the other side and hand sewed it. I am sure this is clear as mud. I will try to get some pictures.

Maria

justwannaquilt 10-15-2009 07:42 AM

First off check you local library for the book, if you find it there, check it out and see if you like it, if you do then you can either renew it until you are done (at least a couple of weeks) or you can then order the book! Even if your library does not have the book they may have a book share program and they may be able to get it for you!

Second I am no expert but right now I am working on two "quilts" one is 50x62 and the other is 48x60 I am quilting both using a Brother xl2600i(super small walmart machine that I got to learn to sew on!). I just roll the quilt up and keep the majority of the quilt behind the machine! I think I would be ok even if these were bigger, but I just didn't want them big they are for the couch not my bed! I have read where people use a broom stick to roll their quilt around, you could also purchase dowl rods and do the same thing with. I have also seen people use bicycle clips to hold the roll together while they quilt! It can be done!

joeyoz 10-15-2009 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by grannysherry
For all you experienced ladies that quilt on a machine. Do you quilt the entire quilt at one time or do you divide it into sections and then put it together. If you sew it all at one time, how do you fold, roll or whatever to get it under your machine? Also I am thinking about ordering Penny's book, "Quilting for Beginners". Does anyone know about this book and is it worth the $60.00 to order it? Grannysherry

I usually just keep everything loose. I just let it puddle and make sure it is flat where I am quilting. That way it isn't all stiff when you are trying to move it around. It is too stiff if you try rolling it up. I, personally, start with the middle row, just thinking about 1 block at a time. I start at one end of the row and quilt to the other end of it. When I am done with that row, I start on the next, just doing one block at a time.

I hope that made sense and I hope it helped. You will want to make a practice sandwich and practice on it first. I do that before every project.

Mamagus 10-15-2009 09:43 AM

This is completely off topic but I really think that if more men were quilters there would already be an affordable and easy to use sewing machine that doesn't have that big chunk of metal, wires and motors impeding our quilting space.

Can't you see it? A big cone shaped thingy that comes down from the ceiling and a large slick quilting surface so you could freemotion until your arms drop off!!

Mousie 10-15-2009 09:51 AM

i quilt in sections, bc of fibromyalgia. I have the bicycle clips, table, etc. for doing it the regular way, but my muscles etc. get too tired, shoving and pushing all that around...and the bending over to baste...yeeeoowy!!!
Marti Michell's Quilting in Sections, is excellent, and Divide and Conquer is also excellent, especially if you like applique.
I haven't done any FMQ...used some stitches on my machine, crosshatched, and SITD. Still learning.
But when I get ready, I will use freezer paper, not going to put all that money into those fancy paper stencils.

Mamagus wrote: Can't you see it? A big cone shaped thingy that comes down from the ceiling and a large slick quilting surface so you could freemotion until your arms drop off!!

I can see it...and I am all over it...although, it wouldn't take that long for my arms to fall off. Guess I could sew them back on...like a rag doll, lol :lol:

grannysherry 10-15-2009 10:41 AM

Well you have all helped so I think I will start with the block method and then if that isn't the thing for me I'll go to the full quilt thing and if that isn't right then I'll try a different way. Who knows I might come up with the master plan to quilting for everyone. lol

amma 10-15-2009 11:46 AM

I love your attitude!!! I would not be a bit surprised when you come up with a better method for all of us to use!!! :D 8) :mrgreen:

grannysherry 10-15-2009 12:25 PM

Hey my house is in blocks and stitches.YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!