Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Magazines-GRRRR!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazines-grrrr-t63148.html)

janRN 09-05-2010 04:54 AM

I rarely if ever buy quilting mags (just gave away over 200 from when I was working and subscribed). I can find everything I need here or elsewhere on internet. DH is in China for 2 wks and I wanted something to read. I started to look at quilt mags at the store and they're all wrapped in plastic. Has this been going on for awhile? I find this outrageous!! I like to flip thru the mag and if even one thing catches my eye I'll buy it. All of them were in sealed plastic bags. How stupid!! They're not Playboy or Hustler that you have to hide the contents--they're quilt magazines. Needless to say I didn't buy one; that's their loss which I don't think they can afford to alienate many more buyers. I think most everyone uses the internet now and passes on mags.
Oh they offer a little "freebie" in them like a pamphlet or folder on another topic so I'm sure their logic for the plastic is to hold the 2 thngs together. Staple it inside the cover for crying out loud!!
Sorry for the rant on such a beautiful Sunday morning!! I was just wondering if anyone else feels this way. I sent an email to McCalls but don't expect to hear from them.

craftiladi 09-05-2010 05:05 AM

Hmmmm I suspect thats exactly why they do it so people like you & me can't thumb through them. Here in Utah the only quilt magazine that comes sealed in plastic F & P but it always has been. I really scaled back on my magazine subscriptions a couple yrs ago when the prices just worth the content, espically when there seems to be so many ads.

tooMuchFabric 09-05-2010 05:06 AM

Hear hear.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-05-2010 05:11 AM

Jan, I didn't notice b/c like you I just got rid of about a million mags and don't buy them anymore! But I agree with you- you should be able to look through it before you decide to buy!!
The internet is a big reason I don't but also found too many ads etc, for the prices. Let's hear it for the internet !! :D

joan_quilts 09-05-2010 05:11 AM

I totally agree!

nursie76 09-05-2010 05:13 AM

I often go and browse the quilting mags at Borders at the mall when waiting for DH. I think that only F & P is in plastic there, but I could be wrong. I agree, it is their loss as if I see something i like I buy it. Can't see inside...don't buy. Definitely irritating.

ranger 09-05-2010 05:39 AM

At the bookstore in this area, some mags are in plastic. For these, the store opens one package and displays it in front of the others, so that people can look through it.

CarrieAnne 09-05-2010 05:52 AM

Thats a great idea, Ranger, then the people could see what patterns are there before buying!

Deborah12687 09-05-2010 06:12 AM

I use to go to the library and look at the new quilting mags first and if I found something Id want to make in it I would buy it.

np3 09-05-2010 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
I use to go to the library and look at the new quilting mags first and if I found something Id want to make in it I would buy it.

I think that is a great idea!