Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazines-t159208.html)

athomenow 10-09-2011 10:59 AM

If you were beginning to quilt and wanted to get a quilting magazine, which one would you choose. Or would you just go to the free sites and try to make quilts from there. I don't have any inspiration and can't just keep doing squares! I need really clear instructions and pics! Just starting to build a stash so I'm not ready to go out and buy fabrics to make a quilt. Just want to use what I have.

auntpiggylpn 10-09-2011 11:03 AM

I actually have decided not to renew any of my quilting magazine subscriptions because I don't tend to do anything with them after I initially read them. I will mark projects I would like to do but I don't seem to ever get around them. I do however, use the internet and get lots of inspiration and ideas and free patterns.

Quilter Lois 10-09-2011 11:03 AM

All magazines have something to say for themselves, so it depends on what you are looking for. For good directions and helpful hints for beginners, Fons and Porters magazine is great. For a great all around idea, inspiration, and instruction magazine, you can't beat McCalls Quilting. Then there is BH&G American Patchwork and quilting. I think the last two are my favorites. I have subscribed to them for years. Borrow one or two from your friends or check then out in the grocery store, look at the indexes and see which have the most interesting assortment of topics. Good Luck!

Murphy 10-09-2011 11:11 AM

There are so many free patterns out there, I would definitely start there. No cost.

QuiltnNan 10-09-2011 11:48 AM

there are sooo many great magazines. but for the beginner quilting, i think Fons/Porter has more beginner quilts and very nice instructions.

Wingsofjoy 10-09-2011 11:52 AM

I like the The Better Homes and Gardening magazine also. Plus it has a great site called allpeoplequilt.com They have a lot of free patterns. I made a quilt from one of their magazine and a year later they posted the same pattern online for free.
We also have a Goodwill close by that has a really nice book store. I have found some quilting books there for just a couple of dollars each. Unfortunately used books and magazines are hard to find but it's always fun to hunt for them.

gale 10-09-2011 11:55 AM

I would stick with McCall's Easy Quilts. Right now I buy Quilts and More and that's it. I quit buying the rest since there's usually only one or at most, two things in it that I would make.

ckcowl 10-09-2011 12:06 PM

the best thing to do at first is...
when you go to the grocery store- or wally world- stop at the magazine rack and browse them for a few minutes- pick up each one and thumb through it- see if one really (grabs you) has projects you think you would enjoy- look the patterns over- do you understand them?
check to see if they offer a variety of easy, to advanced projects-
some magazines offer all easy patterns- you might find it's the same ole thing over and over- some offer a variety - a good mixture- some have almost all advanced-
but only you can really determine what your level is- or what interests you
some have more kids quilts- bright novelties-
some have more grown up projects- some make scrappy quilts- when you can add 1 or 2 to your grocery cart- take them home and really spend time with them--after a few months of this you will find yourself (radiating) toward a certain one more often than others---that's the one you might want to subscribe to.
there is no sense in subscribing to my favorite magazine if there's nothing in it you ever want to make.
over the years i've subscribed to half a dozen quilting magazines- this past year i canceled all of my subscriptions- it had reached the point where they simply stack up- i haven't actually made anything out of one in years...so i still love looking at them (great inspiration!) but now i simply pick one up when one catches my eye at the rack-has saved me lots of $$ doing it that way.

irishrose 10-09-2011 12:13 PM

McCalls Quick Quilting speaks to me most often.

athomenow 10-09-2011 12:26 PM

Thanks for the good advice. I will check out the ones in the store first. I did find some good free sites and I'll try some of that first. I'm having problems getting started on something. I just tend to sit in the room and look at my fabric.