Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A quilting memory of my greatgrandmother and her sister (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-memory-my-greatgrandmother-her-sister-t33948.html)

cumberlandquiltchick 01-12-2010 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Riebejamen
I've heard a few stories women using the "lower the table from the ceiling technique". Didn't know if it was a local thing or not. Glad to hear it's not. And how wonderful that quilters shared across distances, even "way back when"!
Thanks!

It was a frame that was "old" to them. It was just 4 long strips of wood joined at the corners. I think it had screws w/twist on/off bolts so that it could be taken apart. Then there were ropes/cords going up to the ceiling through hooks in the ceiling and they would pull the ropes to raise and lower and then tie off at a cleat over on the wall.
I'd love to find one of these old frames. I don't remember how they attached the quilt exactly. I want to say some kind of spring clamps, but remember it being rolled under some. I'd crawl under it and play and look up through to see the light coming through and them sewing.

Ninnie 01-12-2010 03:49 PM

Beautiful memories!!

CajunQuilter2 01-12-2010 03:59 PM

Thanks for the wonderful story. I live in Lafayette La. and have visited the plantations between Baton Rouge and New Orleans many times. I can actually visualize what it was probably like for them in the house with the quilt frame.
Hubby was working in St Marys Ga and we were there for 2 months. We loved the area/

Jim's Gem 01-12-2010 08:39 PM

What a beautiful memory. As others have said, write it and many others down!!!

Honey 01-12-2010 09:04 PM

I, too, find myself remembering those who are gone. How I wish my children and grandchildren could have grown up in such uncomplicated times. How I pray that at some point we can get back, at least in part, to the lifestyle we had then.

Bevanger 01-13-2010 08:20 AM

so neat. Thanks for sharing

May in Jersey 01-13-2010 09:27 AM

Such a wonderful memory. You told it so well that I could imagine them sewing and quilting in front of thier fire. You must print the story out and start a scrap book with whatever photos of family and quilts you can find. Even quilts that are tattered have a story to tell. Thanks for sharing your great memories. May in Jersey

wvdek 01-13-2010 09:40 AM

Thanks for taking us down memory lane. What a lovely remembrance of these two women. I hope you have written down more stories for your family and loved ones so they may also enjoy an inkling of what you did.

Now I have to wipe drool off the keyboard from talk of chicken and dumplings and pecan pie. Ummm.

cumberlandquiltchick 01-13-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Thanks for taking us down memory lane. What a lovely remembrance of these two women. I hope you have written down more stories for your family and loved ones so they may also enjoy an inkling of what you did.

Now I have to wipe drool off the keyboard from talk of chicken and dumplings and pecan pie. Ummm.

LOL.... You can just look at my waistline and see that I have inherited, and am passing on, the cooking aspect as well. I cook all that good southern food and have a garden and chickens. Thank you all for your sweet comments and would love to hear some of your memories. One friend wrote and said she was sorry she didn't have any. I said, you have made them for your grown children and now are making them for your grandchildren daily.

pal 01-13-2010 05:06 PM

I loved "hearing" your story. Everybody's right about writing it down. Whenever our whole family is together, the young ones want to hear all about the way it used to be. We're always retelling stories about the family, and when we embellish too much they correct us and tell us how it really was. They want to hear the stories over and over
again.