Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with Polyester Invisible Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-polyester-invisible-thread-t134495.html)

Deborahlees 07-01-2011 10:12 AM

What is some of the current opinions of quilting with 'Monofilament Polyester Invisible Thread'....I have a quillt with very strong colors, white, blue, red....and I really DO NOT want the quilting to jump out and overwhelm either the pattern or fabric. Is using invisible thread, considered cheating ??????
This is polyester thread I ordered special on the internet so it can take the iron heat.....have been using in both bobbin and upper....the look is super great.... on the little table runner I am currently quilting IT JUST LOOKS GREAT.....but will appreciate your opinion ....... :lol:

donnajean 07-01-2011 10:14 AM

I use YLI Wonder invisible thread for most of my applique & quilting.

jljack 07-01-2011 10:18 AM

I haven't used invisible thread at all. I am kinda scared that if it breaks at some point, I'll end up with those wiry little ends floating above the quilt like cheap comforters get.

Candace 07-01-2011 10:20 AM

Is it a wallhanging or utility quilt? Nothing is cheating. :> Though I must say I don't like the feel of invisible thread at all and personally wouldn't want it against my skin for a utility quilt.

dd 07-01-2011 10:28 AM

I understand what you are saying but I would only use it for a wall hanging or table runner or things like that. I wouldn't want it for my quilt on my bed either.

Deborahlees 07-01-2011 10:29 AM

there is a major difference with the feel between nylon and polyester. The polyester, to me, feels just like any other thread.

virtualbernie 07-01-2011 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
there is a major difference with the feel between nylon and polyester. The polyester, to me, feels just like any other thread.

Where did you get your polyester invisible thread?

Deborahlees 07-01-2011 11:29 AM

This thread is truly extra ordinary. It is .004 m, clear, polyester, feels just like regular thread to both my hand and my face. Sews beautifully. Did this simple table runner with it in both my bobbin and upper thread, did not do any adjustments to machine. and the result is beautifull. Looks just like I changed thread colors from the blue to the red to the white.....In my very humble opinion,... this way the quilting thread does not compete with the overall design or individule fabric colors....
Thread is from 'Thethread exchange.com' bought a spool that will probably last me a life time....for under $10

Buzzy Bee 07-01-2011 11:45 AM

I have used it and really like it better when quilting than color thread...My only problem is that when I wind a bobbin with it. sometimes the bobbin doesn't automatically stop when its full,,,and the top pops off my bobbin (plastic bobbins ) and all has to go in trash....

Deborahlees 07-01-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzy Bee
I have used it and really like it better when quilting than color thread...My only problem is that when I wind a bobbin with it. sometimes the bobbin doesn't automatically stop when its full,,,and the top pops off my bobbin (plastic bobbins ) and all has to go in trash....

I know what you mean. I use my metal bobbins, and really, really watching the winding......but then it is so nice that you do not have to replace the bobbins during quilting....it is worth the small effort......