Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting a rail fence quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-rail-fence-quilt-t192.html)

Leslee 12-08-2006 08:32 PM

Oh...the dreaded quarter-inch, eh? I've yet another masking tape quick fix for that one! Grab a roll of tape and a sharp razor blade. Make two slices about two inches apart from each other and through several layers of tape. Grab a quilting ruler that you know has an exact quarter-inch measure on it. Raise the presser foot and needle, then put the ruler under the needle area with the quarter-inch bit facing off to your right. Let the needle of your machine lower until it touches that line. Make sure it's nice and straight from front to back, then pull off that fat bit of masking tape and stick it right along the edge of that ruler. This should give you a nice plump "bumper" that will help tame the fabric wander problem. There are other products out there that work, but this one comes straight from Masking Tape Queen Leslee...Ta-Dah!!!!
PS: I'm in Southern California :D You could probably tell!

Sally Dolin 08-17-2007 01:40 AM

Joy, I see from your other posts you are using a regular sewing machine so I would recommend either the old stitch in the ditch which works so well for sewing machines or a simple meander. I use a longarm and would normally do a baptist fan on a rail fence. A design with a curving flow nearly always works well on a block to block design with simple squares or rectangles. The curve of the quilting gives the piece a softer look of movement. Happy stitching.

sewmuch 08-17-2007 06:53 AM

Leslee, two good ideas about the masking tape, am gonna try them.
I'm N. Calif. here.

Suz 08-17-2007 01:57 PM

A short stack of "post-it" sheets also works well as a "bumper". When the bottom one no longer wants to stick, just peel it off and you are ready to go again.

Suzanne

Moonpi 08-17-2007 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Leslee
There are other products out there that work, but this one comes straight from Masking Tape Queen Leslee...Ta-Dah!!!!

:mrgreen: Of course

If you were from a southern state, you would only use duct tape for anything tape-able. If it moves and it shouldn't, apply duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, apply WD-40!

Carla P 08-17-2007 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi

There are other products out there that work, but this one comes straight from Masking Tape Queen Leslee...Ta-Dah!!!!

If you were from a southern state, you would only use duct tape for anything tape-able. If it moves and it shouldn't, apply duct tape. If it doesn't move, but should, apply WD-40!

Hey now, Moonpi... I resemble that remark!! :lol: (I just bought a new roll of duct tape & a new can of WD-40 last weekend... :lol: :lol: It's great stuff!! Y'all should try it sometime!!

k_jupiter 08-17-2007 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Carla P

Originally Posted by Moonpi

Hey now, Moonpi... I resemble that remark!! :lol: (I just bought a new roll of duct tape & a new can of WD-40 last weekend... :lol: :lol: It's great stuff!! Y'all should try it sometime!!

I always give my southern friends that combination as a wedding present. Usually they thank me and take it into their wedding night suite. (???!!!)

They always have smiles on their faces in the morning but won't tell me why. (?!)

tim in san jose

ShellyQ 08-17-2007 08:40 PM

:lol: Tim! :shock:

k_jupiter 08-17-2007 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ShellyQ
:lol: Tim! :shock:

That would be... Tim (!!!)

tim in san jose

Boo 08-18-2007 11:28 AM

Okay, southern or not, I better not catch any of you applying duct tape or WD40 to any sewing machine! What is wrong with you! :roll: