Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting in Sections (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-sections-t343.html)

emargaret 01-22-2007 11:33 AM

I first got the idea of quilting in sections from Barbara Bonesteel's Lap Quilting. But Marti Mitchell's book helped me by showing several ways to do it, and I have used her ideas since.
I think that usually when it comes out a different size its partly due to not sewing truly accurate seams. I do sometimes have that problem, and have sometimes cut larger, especially when dealing with triangles. I'm still working on accuracy, and I think it comes from careful cutting and being sure that your 1/4 seam is true. Try your needle position out using some graph paper (for example) to find out where your true 1/4 position is. Sometimes I move the needle to the right 1 notch to sew just the teensiest bit less than 1/4 and I can usually get the patches to match. Be sure to match seams carefully, too. I think its something all of us beginners struggle with until we get it down. I have only been quilting for about 4 years, but I really enjoy trying new things. Right now I'm working on purses as a break from a large project.

Ramona 01-23-2007 06:11 AM

I have used this method of pieced quilt as you go. I think it is called Cotton Theory Quilting. It works great. I would love to learn from the expert. I live in the center of Wyoming, Rolling Hills, but would not mind traveling to Salt Lake City. Do you have any information you can send me on the next class? [email protected] if it is not appropriate to post on this medium.

This process was easy to use and I think everyone can do it. I was impressed how easy it was to handle lots of material. It is also very easy to use if you start with a quilted pre-purchased panel and want to make it larger.

Happy Quilting, Ramona

Mundy Woodbeck 01-23-2007 11:52 AM

email Becky I would like the directions on that quilt you mention Cotton theo
my email Monday49@aol com

Norah 01-23-2007 12:09 PM

Becky, I think a lot of us might like those directions. Will you post them if you can? Thanks :D

Becky 01-23-2007 03:34 PM

Mundy

I got your message and I will send you an e-mail with how I do it.

Becky 01-23-2007 03:38 PM

Norah

I will send you the info, but it is quiet lengthy, So if you will send me your e-mail I will write you and tell you how I do it. But it will be in alittle while, I've got to do my Bible study right now. But I've got to wait for your response anyway. ok

Norah 01-24-2007 10:37 AM

Thanks, Becky. And you go!! Bible study is much more important.
[email protected]

LuAnne Schurk 01-24-2007 11:56 AM

I'm new to this project?? I wanted to know how you get the instructions to do quilt as you go. I must have missed something????

Ann P. 01-24-2007 12:45 PM

Quilting in sections sounds much easier, but how do you finish the seams on the back once you put all the quilted blocks together?

emargaret 01-24-2007 01:09 PM

Marti Mitchell has several ways. One is to turn under one side (which is a little bigger) and hand sew it. Another is to add a strip that covers the seam.