Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Software Versus Hand Drawn Plans? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-software-versus-hand-drawn-plans-t189462.html)

MRSRAB 05-20-2012 04:30 AM

Thanks so much for sharing your insight and approaches on quilt design. I really appreciate it. I think what I will do -- if I can wait -- is ask for EQ for Christmas; I love the idea of practicing designs from magazines or from internet patterns to develop the skill of using the software and also tweeking patterns after getting them designed. In the interim, I will use graph paper and colored pencil and also try the free software/other software out there that's available. You've have greatly helped in making my decision.

katier825 05-20-2012 05:05 AM

I have the Quilt Design Wizard and it's not too bad, but is limited in what you can do. I do have issues with printing from it. I'm sure it's something in the settings, but I haven't figured it out. The print is so small I can't read it. I'm talking like a size zero font...smaller than the fine print on a prescription bottle. Even with glasses I can't read it. If anyone has suggestions on what to change to enlarge the print, please let me know. By the way, I am very computer savvy, so it's been quite frustrating for me!

ghostrider 05-20-2012 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 5229454)
I have the Quilt Design Wizard and it's not too bad, but is limited in what you can do. I do have issues with printing from it. I'm sure it's something in the settings, but I haven't figured it out. The print is so small I can't read it. I'm talking like a size zero font...smaller than the fine print on a prescription bottle. Even with glasses I can't read it. If anyone has suggestions on what to change to enlarge the print, please let me know. By the way, I am very computer savvy, so it's been quite frustrating for me!

Change the font size on your computer using Control Panel...how exactly depends on which OS you have.

dunster 05-20-2012 05:15 AM

I have been using EQ for several years and I couldn't do without it. It does have some limitations (or maybe I don't know all the ways of using it) but it's definitely worth the money to me.

Scissor Queen 05-20-2012 06:30 AM

I have EQ 5. I found it frustrating and irritating to use. I know the next versions have been improved so maybe I'll upgrade one of these days. I found it a lot faster and easier to design using graph paper and pencils. The math just isn't that hard to do and I have a calculator that makes it even faster to do.

Hinterland 05-20-2012 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5229664)
I have EQ 5. I found it frustrating and irritating to use. I know the next versions have been improved so maybe I'll upgrade one of these days. I found it a lot faster and easier to design using graph paper and pencils. The math just isn't that hard to do and I have a calculator that makes it even faster to do.

I'm with you on this. I use design programs on computers all day, but I found EQ hard to learn. It's okay if I'm looking for a traditional block, but for my own quilt designs I'm happier with pencil and paper.

Janet

BellaBoo 05-20-2012 08:10 AM

People can tell you how wonderful or not something is but the only way to know if it is what you want is to try it yourself. EQ7 is the best quilting design program available. I have all the other quilt software and they are good but not better. Other drawing programs are excellent, some are free but not designed for only quilting. No block library, fabric files, quilt lay outs, border layouts, quilting motifs, applique designs, cutting sizes, etc. EQ7 has all this and more. When I first heard about EQ I knew it would be something fun and useful, if I listened to everyone that said it was too expensive, too hard to use, I could do the same thing with graph paper, use Windows Paint program, save my money for more fabric, I would have missed out on a great quilting tool for me. I've had it since it was on floppy disk and used DOS instead of Windows.

MRSRAB 05-20-2012 08:25 AM

My ultimate goal is to learn all I can from design to finish and from manual to electronic. I am excited about what everyone has shared and look forward to doing it both ways but aim to get software for ease and know-how. Again, everyone's input has been invaluable to me and the viewpoints shared from both sides of the fence are valid and very helpful.

crafterrn1 05-20-2012 08:48 AM

I am an EQ user since EQ4. I have EQ7 which is a more user friendly program. It gives you many things and options for design. It does not give you instructions on how to sew the half square or quarter square triangles together etc. It is a Design program. I do also have several other quilt design programs. Quilt Pro because I have many of Carol Doaks books and cds. I use them far less than EQ. Yes I am a pattern designer and a teacher. I love EQ and am on it just about everyday! It is a very big program. Even I am still learning what it can do. Check out the site and see what it can do. They also have many add ons you may or maynot need. Only you can be the judge. I love my EQ and would never go back to paper. I do sketch out a few quilts when inspiration hits. But I bring the sketch to the computer and design what I want. I hope you figure out your needs and enjoy EQ when you get it! Luann

ckcowl 05-20-2012 09:50 AM

i would guess this would be a personal like/don't like matter- when i first bought my Viking sewing machine we also bought an EQ-5 program *years ago* i think i (tried) to use it once ---even signed up and paid for a class to learn how to use it at the lqs--- went to all 3 of the class sessions--- then i don't think i ever opened it-picked it up again- don't even know if i still have it somewhere- i always know where my pad of graph paper is though-
the lady who taught the class uses her's a every day---loves it & can not imagine how i even function...
some people like things like that- others---not so much...i'm one of the 'not so much' folk.