Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting swap info (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-swap-info-t200194.html)

Wonnie 09-11-2012 09:18 AM

quilting swap info

Didn't post this to the "SWAP" title because I just wanted general info. Has anyone participated?

1. pros and cons, please

2. did you enjoy it?

3. how does it work?

4. do you end up with a quilt?...or does it depend on how many are in the swap?

5. is there a time element?

6. how do you avoid getting blocks in return that are a zillion different colors none of which go together?

7. let's say you have a swap with 20 people participating.....do you have to make 20 blocks yourself in
a ....month?, 2 months?...???????????

It sounds like fun but want to make sure I have the time required to participate.

erstan947 09-11-2012 09:24 AM

I find that each swap is set up differently. I did a mug rug swap.....It was fun. The rules were given up front so I knew what was going on before I committed. I suggest you join one and see if you like. I also did a round robin....it was so much fun. This is a great way to get to know other QB members.

dunster 09-11-2012 10:11 AM

Rules are different for each swap, so there's no good answer here. Swaps can be of just fabric, or of blocks, or of whole segments of quilts. Usually there is some coordination as to colors, unless it's a scrappy pattern. There's always a time element, and you shouldn't participate if you know or suspect that you can't meet it. Sometimes life gets in the way, and everyone understands that, if you quickly let the swap coordinator know of your inability to continue and promptly send back whatever items you have that belong in the swap.

I don't participate in swaps, because it's just not my thing. I would rather deal with my own mal-formed blocks than with someone else's (LOL) but I have seen some swaps that were extremely successful and some that were terrible failures. I think that the key is to enjoy the participation, without high expectations, and then rejoice if you get more than expected.

Scissor Queen 09-11-2012 10:55 AM

You pretty much have to participate and decide if you like swaps for yourself.

Jingle 09-12-2012 11:28 AM

I would not get involved, I give myself enough grief if I mess something up, sure don't want to hear it from someone else. I am not a joiner anyway.
Good luck.

LisaGibbs 09-12-2012 11:57 AM

I did the pot holder swap and the person I was to swap with returned my pot holder (was sweet about it) and said that she had been trying to get off that swap for some time. I was super disappointed and haven't done a swap since.

ckcowl 09-12-2012 01:07 PM

each swap is it's own program with it's own rules- visit the swap page & read the guidelines, rules for the ones you are interested in & decide if it will (work for you)
i've participated in many swaps over the years- all were different- some didn't go so well- many did go just as they were prescribed to be. it is important to read & follow the individual rules for the swap you want to participate in & understand that it is a commitment- if you have any doubts as to your ability to follow through- don't sign up.
there are always time frames-
often there are a certain number of blocks you have to make- sometimes all the same - sometimes different- most often a certain (theme) or color-
the only way to find the answeres to your questions is to go to the swap & read it's rules-
round robins are not swaps- they are programs where you do recieve a quilt at the end- they also have their own rules, time frames & commitments-
the (normal) board rules are that any skill level is invited to participate & you do your part to the best of your ability- with the best you can afford- you may recieve blocks that are perhaps not what YOU would have made- but understanding & compassion are a must- everyone has to learn somehow- and participating is one way to learn new things- swaps can be a wonderful experience as long as the (hostess) handles it well- and all of the participants do their part- in the time frame expected.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-12-2012 01:43 PM

I have done them. Each has their own rules and are very clear. I have never been disappointed and have never heard a negative word from anyone who received one of my blocks. I did a Funky Farm swap awhile back and made what I think is a cute quilt from the blocks.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t107354.html

As others have said, everyone's experience is different, but I've enjoyed them. I have 2.5 inch squares out right now on a swap and am getting ready to start a row robin.

Wonnie 09-18-2012 01:35 PM

Thanks for all your responses and you're right. I just have to do it and decide for my self and so.....I DID! Joined the 2012-2013 Round Robin Row!