Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-t10605.html)

tarib 08-27-2008 03:46 AM

Hi Just a quick question. Do most of the people on this forum have quilting machines to do their own quilting or is it done by hand. I have seen some beautiful quilt jobs, and I was just curious if you did them yourselves or had someone else do it. The only thing I have ever done is stitch the ditch. Any tips on hand quilting?

Quilting Aggi 08-27-2008 03:52 AM

There is a variety here on this site. I don't have a quilting machine, but hope some day down the road to get one. For the moment I machine quilt, but I have to say my favourite way is to hand quilt. I hope to get another quilt ready to hand quilt soon.

There are some women here who have the big quilting machines and they have offered their quilting services to many here on this forum.

What are your favourite ways to quilt? Do you have a quilting machine? My next big purchase will be my embroidery machine, but that won't be until maybe next Spring, as I am saving up my coins for that one. The more I can save with my loose change, the better :) I won't feel it so much then!

reneebobby 08-27-2008 03:57 AM

I use my machine with so so success only because i'm way to new at this. But I have seen some places for cheap too that you can buy a frame set up and turn your machine around and quilt with it. Way to cool too, for only $125.00 vs. several thousands of dollars. As for hand quilting not enough room in my house and I just don't have the pacients for it either. lol

beachlady 08-27-2008 04:03 AM

I have used my Bernina for small projects. I would love a long arm, but alas.....no room right now.

Cathe 08-27-2008 05:37 AM

I quilt on my regular sewing machine. I can do queen sized quilts on it - yes, it's a lot of shoving and maneuvering, but it's not THAT hard! I prefer to just do freemotion stippling all over it, since that's the fastest way to finish it. Unless I wanted to go into business doing professional machine quilting for others, I could not justify the expense of a quilting machine.

I also quilt by hand, but not often. I save it for special things. Everything else, from table runners to bed quilts, gets stippled.

sspingler 08-27-2008 06:16 AM

I hand quilted for 20 years then 11 years ago bought a longarm. Now I quilt as a business.

Quilt4u 08-27-2008 06:29 AM

I quilt my large quilts by hand,and small by machine.

patricej 08-27-2008 01:54 PM

Ditch-Stitchers UNITE!!!! :mrgreen:

Moonpi 08-27-2008 02:16 PM

I do whatever gets them done... machine quilting, hand quilting, tying, and combinations on one quilt. There are some incredibly talented longarmers here that take in work if you are insecure about the actual quilting part and have some money to spare.

tarib 08-27-2008 02:17 PM

Gee I was beginning to believe I was the only one that didn't know how to quilt with a machine. Good to know I'm not the only ditch stitcher.