Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Thread Weight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-thread-weight-t68512.html)

sewsandy 10-05-2010 03:05 PM

If you quilt your quilt on your regular machine, what # thread to you use. I use #50 to piece but heard that is too heavy to stipple or meander with. I would like to know what others use.

featherweight 10-05-2010 03:12 PM

I use the 50 wt.

watterstide 10-05-2010 03:14 PM

most of mine is 50 weight..i thought most hand quilting thread was 40, but since i don't hand sew..i don't know for sure.

I use gutterman cotton(from Joanns), or masterpiece, superior,king tut.. bottom line. my machine is not picky about threads..so i can use just about anything.

i have always heard, piece with cotton, and quilt with whatever your heart desires! I am in love with verigated threads! i have used clear,Emb threads, glow in the dark..

google
"redrock threads"
or
"superior threads"..
you will find all sorts of helpful info there!

featherweight 10-05-2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
most of mine is 50 weight..i thought most hand quilting thread was 40, but since i don't hand sew..i don't know for sure.

I use gutterman cotton(from Joanns), or masterpiece, superior,king tut.. bottom line. my machine is not picky about threads..so i can use just about anything.

i have always heard, piece with cotton, and quilt with whatever your heart desires! I am in love with verigated threads! i have used clear,Emb threads, glow in the dark..

I agree with the varigated. It really adds something to the quilt!!
google
"redrock threads"
or
"superior threads"..
you will find all sorts of helpful info there!

featherweight 10-05-2010 03:18 PM

I think I got hooked up in someone elses reply! Sorry

watterstide 10-05-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
I think I got hooked up in someone elses reply! Sorry

lol! it is all good!
i should of just said, most of my thread i use is 50 weight.
the bottom line is 60.

superior always has "try me" packages/prices.
they have also sent me samples(a bobbin or two to try, no charge)

Candace 10-05-2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by sewsandy
If you quilt your quilt on your regular machine, what # thread to you use. I use #50 to piece but heard that is too heavy to stipple or meander with. I would like to know what others use.

LOL. I use 50 wt. to piece and sometimes even heavier thread to quilt with. I have 50, 40, and 30 that I FMQ with. To me, heavier quilting thread makes the quilting pop better. But yes, I stick to 50 wt. for piecing.

martha jo 10-05-2010 04:01 PM

I use 50 weight for piecing and machine applique but 80 weight in bobbin for machine applique.

featherweight 10-05-2010 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by martha jo
I use 50 weight for piecing and machine applique but 80 weight in bobbin for machine applique.

I didn't realize they made an 80 wt. I'll have to check that out. My prewound bobbins are 60 wt and that is what my bobbin thread is.

sewnsewer2 10-05-2010 04:49 PM

I use 40 weight.