Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with velvet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-velvet-t191773.html)

alisonquilts 06-14-2012 04:07 PM

I am currently machine quilting the first quilt I've ever done with velvet - but I am using the velvet as the backing, so I haven't had to deal with the directional nap issues, and it is cotton velvet, so where I have had to iron a seam (from the wrong side) it hasn't been a big problem. I must say it looks very luscious! The front of this quilt is a large piece of hand-painted upholstery silk, bordered with cotton batik. This combination is quite a departure from my usual...

Please show us photos of your velvets - I'm dying to see colors!

Alison

dunster 06-14-2012 04:54 PM

Lots of handy velvet sewing tips here - http://www.fashion-era.com/velvets/v...essing_Velvet0

Rubesgirl 06-14-2012 07:09 PM

I used to press velvet on a needle board when I made garments. You also need to use a pressing cloth over the back, minimal pressure and a lot of steam to get seams to lie flat. Best to practice first on a piece you don't intend to use. It will be extra work, but I bet the quilt will be beautiful! :-)

Havplenty 06-14-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5289264)
Velvet is not supposed to be ironed!! It can permanently flatten the fibers. If you send a garment made of velvet it is steamed never ironed.
Most velvets if you remove stitches it will leave a permanent mark/hole where the stitches were.

i sewed with velvet a lot in my garment making days and you can iron velvet with a needle board or use another piece of velvet as a cushion when pressing.

it was mentioned that it is a stretchy velvet so i am wondering if the fabric is actually velour instead of velvet. the stretch velour that clothes are made from is very forgivable when it come to sewing and pressing it. the velour is often a cotton/lycra blend with a very short nap so it should sew up quite well. you will probably need a stabilizer such as interfacing to control the stretch. do a test drive on a coupla pieces in terms of stablizer, pressing, nap and see what works best for you.

WilliP 06-15-2012 05:19 AM

Ahh, Crazy Quilts!!! I would use a muslin to foundation piece the blocks. Stretch velvets usually hold up to being pressed so you could try a fusible interfacing to stablize --- I don't think in the long run that I would use them. I would let her know that the stretch is permanent and might not do well in a traditional quilt like the crazy design. You can mix woven fabric types but to mix woven and stretch is asking for frustration at the very least. I am looking for the place that sells woven velvets --- think they are a JBMartin if I remember ---- velvet and a turkish towel for steaming or a needle board or velvet board --- do they even make them anymore? I really must check into doing some of my grandmother's style of quilts. Thanks for posting on the subject. Good luck with your adventure in velvets and brocades.

ptquilts 08-12-2012 07:18 AM

update

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I ironed all the velvet with no problems. Got it all cut up. Started sewing it to the backing fabric. It does need a lot of pinning, it is very slippery. Here is the first panel, she also wanted me to add in some brocade, which is almost too pretty to cut up!
The colors are better than what the pic shows, my cheapo camera does not like bright sunshine.

I think this will go fairly quickly, I sure do miss having a big sewing room with space to spread everything out though.

Deborahlees 08-12-2012 07:32 AM

Why not make a crazy quilt....I would thrown in some satin and lace for good measure....
work on deli paper....and yes us a nailboard....
make sure she knows it will not be washable, in any shape or form and it will be heavy
perhaps more a throw size would be better.

ptquilts 08-12-2012 08:11 AM

This is what she has requested - NOT a crazy quilt she said - just squares and rectangles, just the fabric she provided.

I would LOVE to make it a crazy quilt, would be much easier.

ptquilts 08-30-2013 09:21 AM

Just wanted to say I finally finished this quilt and delivered it to my sis. How she is going to keep the hair from her 4 cats off it, is her concern!! When we put it on her bed, I was pleased to see she has the silk crazy quilt (lap size) I gave her hanging on her BR wall. It's nice to be appreciated!!

After quilting for over 30 years and giving quilts to so many people, I finally got to give a bed quilt to my sister (my one and ONLY sister!).

I thought I had a picture but can't find it. It turned out wonderful. I call it Judy's Harem Blanket, it is so lush-looking.

crafty pat 08-30-2013 09:44 AM

If velvet and brocades are used the quilt will have to be dry cleaned. My DM started making a crazy quilt out of those fabrics and got something on it before she finished the top. She washed it and it had to go in the trash after it dried. She was so sick, she had worked so hard on it.