Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting your Quilts For Kids Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-your-quilts-kids-quilts-t41937.html)

Marge L. 04-07-2010 04:21 PM

What color thread do you use? I'm using the color of the back, but what are you using for the tops. There are the dark colored parts and I hesitate using the same color through the dark colors especially. PLEASE, I need an answer before I finish the 2nd quilt. For my own quilts I use a lot of monofilament on top so the thread doesn't show but the quilting does. I'd appreciate knowin how you do it. These are my 1st ones for Q4K.

sandpat 04-07-2010 04:25 PM

Of course they don't want you to use the mono...but I just used a white Isacord. I did diagonal quilting on mine both directions about 1-1 1/2" apart

Jim's Gem 04-07-2010 05:15 PM

I did a large meander all over the whole thing.

pam1966 04-07-2010 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Marge L.
What color thread do you use? I'm using the color of the back, but what are you using for the tops. There are the dark colored parts and I hesitate using the same color through the dark colors especially. PLEASE, I need an answer before I finish the 2nd quilt. For my own quilts I use a lot of monofilament on top so the thread doesn't show but the quilting does. I'd appreciate knowin how you do it. These are my 1st ones for Q4K.

I used green in the quilt in my picture; I just chose a predominant color from the quilt. I tried to remember that this is for kids and they like things a bit mixed up.

pam1966 04-07-2010 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie

Originally Posted by pam1966
Here's the one I did using their fabric. I think I quilted at the most 1 1/2" to 2" apart, I used Warm & Natural also.

Thanks! I just didn't know what to do with mine! Now I have a plan. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your quilt is so pretty!

Thanks!

quilterguy27 04-07-2010 10:01 PM

This is the method I use. Since they are for kids I try to keep in mind the bright colors. The most recent one I did I used green thread on front and back. The back was green and the front had green in it. The quilting stood out really well. I used a meander to resemble water as it also had blue in it (for water) and fish all over it. You can do a search and find pics of my QFK quilts if you'd like to see how I did them.

Originally Posted by pam1966

Originally Posted by Marge L.

I used green in the quilt in my picture; I just chose a predominant color from the quilt. I tried to remember that this is for kids and they like things a bit mixed up.

littlehud 04-08-2010 07:58 PM

It seems to me they want heavy quilting. Every two inches or so.

quilterguy27 04-08-2010 08:39 PM

Oh, yes! They do want heavy quilting. I'm sure I overdue it, but what can I say. I enjoy it and want it to be unusual. No two are quilted alike. I try to pick a motif from the quilt and use that as a guide. They want them quilted so much because they get washed every day! They have to be able to hold up. That's also why they want them machine quilted instead of by hand. basically, one to two inches should be plenty.

Originally Posted by littlehud
It seems to me they want heavy quilting. Every two inches or so.