Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts of Gees Bend (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-gees-bend-t187797.html)

anita211 05-01-2012 09:38 AM

Quilts of Gees Bend

I got the fabric and pattern for my very own Gees Bend quilt. The fabric is lovely,l and I can't wait to make it. I have so many other projects going, I wonder if I should put it aside until I have tons of time, or do I put some away and devote myself to do this one.

My SO even likes the pattern, which is unusual because he likes things that are symmetrical, and this definitely isn't. I will wash the fabric. That will give me some idea if I should actually start it, or if I should just starch and spray the fabric and put it away for now.

Anita in Northfield, MN

valleyquiltermo 05-01-2012 09:46 AM

I never put fabric away with starch on it as it draws bugs.

Lori S 05-01-2012 09:51 AM

Do touble check the amount of bleeding I have heard the Gee's bend fabrics run/bleed like crazy. I would wait till I had time to dive into it unfettered by other projects. I know once I put a project partially completed away it rarely makes it out again. Plus its incentive to get your current unfinished completed!

ontheriver 05-01-2012 09:51 AM

I would work on the one you want. If you are excited to get started on gees bend, go for it. I haven't seen the kits, but I live only 20 miles from gees bend, most from there work and shop here in selma so I know several of the ladies. Very nice people. Been there many times, shop is in the little community center.

ghostrider 05-01-2012 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo (Post 5185634)
I never put fabric away with starch on it as it draws bugs.

Plus it makes fold lines much harder to get out when you pull it out of storage.

Candace 05-01-2012 10:50 AM

The directions are very clear to prewash several times and to use either Retayne or Syntrapol(sp?). And to use color catchers until they are clean. Make sure you prewash the heck out of them and no, don't store them starched as others have said. I bought 4 of these kits today.

leatheflea 05-02-2012 04:46 AM

I didn't know Gees Bend had patterns I thought they were all original, where do you get a pattern?

Stitchnripper 05-02-2012 05:14 AM

I didn't know they had patterns either. I had the opportunity to see an exhibit when it was on tour and I really did enjoy it.

Holice 05-02-2012 05:23 AM

Several patterns are available which have been adapted from some of the Gees Bend quilts. I have 8 patterns which I recently got from Debby Kratovil who adapted from the original quilts. Windham Fabrics has produced a line of solid fabric which matches the fabric in the original quilts Some have criticized the project but I find the designs fit very well into the Modern Quilt Movement. Even tho there is a pattern, I can see there is still room for personal creativity in making quilts from the patterns. I assisted Debby in one of her classes here in Worcester Ma (Original Sewing and Quilting Expo). The students were excited about the design and the entire concept.

susie-susie-susie 05-02-2012 09:01 AM

I just bought a kit made by Windham of Gees Bend quilts. I can't wait to start it, but after reading your comments, I think I'd better wash the fabrics and use some Synthrapol on them. Tuesday Mornings Store had several kits and precuts available yesterday. They were already pretty picked over though.
Sue