Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts instead of flowers at funeral home (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-instead-flowers-funeral-home-t58975.html)

theoldgraymare 08-11-2010 05:49 PM

I have never heard of using quilts at a funeral, but I think it is a great idea.

Up North 08-11-2010 06:12 PM

I had given my Aunt a quilt just 4 days before she passed away and after the Funeral My cousin said her daughters wanted to display it, but they thought it might upset me. It wouldn't have, I would have been honored. When I gave it to my Aunt she said "My this is beautiful" She was wrapped in it for her last ride and used it for the last 4 days at the hospital before she passed away.

skydiver70 08-11-2010 06:19 PM

Yes, when my sister-in-law's mother passed away, they displayed the most beautiful quilt on the casket instead of a spray of flowers with the name of person the quilt was to go to on the card. This is a very nice thing to do, as the quilt will always be a treasure, whereas most of the flowers will only last a day or so, unless they are silk.

nativetexan 08-11-2010 06:23 PM

that sounds lovely. my girlfriend lost her husband recently and he was an artist so she displayed one of his paintings on glass on an easel. (he painted on the back of the glass. had to start with the foreground first and go backwards).

NewYearsOld 08-11-2010 06:36 PM

I think it is a wonderful tribute to the deceased. We also displayed one of my Mom's quilts she had made at her Visitation 6 years ago. I hope to see this more often. Thank you for bringing up this subject Susan.

Shemjo 08-11-2010 06:38 PM

I think that is a wonderful way to honor a loved one.
I have heard of casket quilts made especially to be displayed over the side of the casket. Our guild had a speaker on that topic.

grammyp 08-11-2010 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
I had given my Aunt a quilt just 4 days before she passed away and after the Funeral My cousin said her daughters wanted to display it, but they thought it might upset me. It wouldn't have, I would have been honored. When I gave it to my Aunt she said "My this is beautiful" She was wrapped in it for her last ride and used it for the last 4 days at the hospital before she passed away.

Doesn't it just warm your heart. One of my co-workers died of liver failure a couple of years ago. Many people at work donated fabric and I started him a quilt when he had to quit work, and completed it just days before he passed away. We took it to him in the hospital and he was so proud of it. His wife put it on the coffin, under the families flowers. I cried when I saw it there. That was the first time I had ever seen a quilt displayed at a funeral, but think it is a great idea.

Lady Shivesa 08-11-2010 06:39 PM

That is such a beautiful idea. So much more meaningful than flowers

AnnaK 08-11-2010 06:46 PM

This isn't about quilts at a funeral but when the oldest member of our mini-group turned 70 we had a surprise birthday party for her and arranged (behind her back) to 'steal' some of her quilts with her daughter's help. We set them up at another member's house and invited all of the birthday girl's quilting friends. We had a beautiful luncheon surrounded by all her beautiful quilts. She just couldn't believe it when she walked in the room and all her quilts were there! It was a great party and a great tribute to a lovely, generous lady. I think quilts just add to the event.

spinnergs 08-11-2010 06:48 PM

We had a distant relative who had her own quilts displayed at the funeral, kind of like a private showing. Was great way to remember her. Since so many of us give our quilts away, this was nice to see them brought back one last time.