Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   R.I.P. Rowenta (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/r-i-p-rowenta-t183966.html)

Cindy2sew 03-25-2012 01:18 PM

R.I.P. Rowenta

My beloved Rowenta died a miserable death today. RIP. It lasted 4 1/2 years. I would love to have another but the circumstances to which it passed leave me wondering if I should buy another. I plugged it in and sparks shot out of the area were the electrical cord enters the body. Yikes! I loved this iron because of the steam it provided. I cant afford the new Eliso so has anyone got good recommendations for a new iron?

Thanks

Cindy in TN

Crqltr 03-25-2012 01:24 PM

I was in home depot and they had a shark iron on sale. I bought it because I could not keep the sole plate on my rowenta clean. I like the shark better, better steam.

Cybrarian 03-25-2012 01:28 PM

I love my Eliso, but I've heard really good things about Rowenta also. Do you consider your iron well used? If so with the use of a well used iron I'd say 4 1/2 years isn't bad for more high tech steam irons. The sparks sound like a repetitive movement or winding of the cord weakened then broke the inner wiring. Not technical terms I know, but hopefully you know what I mean.

Vanuatu Jill 03-25-2012 01:50 PM

My Rowenta Master (German made) I bought at Costco a little over a year ago started leaking after about 6 months. It wasn't all the time, so I kept using it, but the last months or so it really started leaking in earnest-out of every orifice, the base, cord, everywhere BUT the soleplate. I finally decided I had had enough, so I took it back to Costco on the outside chance they would do something about it (even after a year. I didn't have the receipt or the box, but they took it back, credited my account, and never batted an eye! LOVE COSTCO!!! I then purchased a Sunbeam Turbo Steam Master from them (half the price of the Rowenta), and it works like a charm. Because I do allot of fusible work, I also bought a really cheapo Rival at Walmart, but forget to use it when fusing. I have the Rowenta sole plate cleaner (bought several packs with coupons at Joann's) and it works great cleaning all the gunk off. I hope I have better luck with the Sunbeam. It really puts out allot of steam and so far, no leaks!

collady 03-25-2012 01:55 PM

My Rowenta died a similar death. I really like the Shark I purchased to replace it. It has a good weight and holds a lot of water for when I want steam.

Christine- 03-25-2012 02:25 PM

I bought an Oreck on ebay a few years back. I used vinegar to clean out the deposits in it when it started to leak. No more leak.

quilter1 03-25-2012 02:29 PM

Check out the Reliable irons. They are not cheap but I love mine, I finally have an iron that is dependable and doesn't leak all over the place.

Lori S 03-25-2012 02:48 PM

I bought two Rowenta , I loved the steam, but for the money I just could not seeing buying another. Mine had a lifespan of about 4 years each. Way to short a life for the money I spent buying the high end of the Rowenta price range.
I have a cheap $12.00 iron , and it has already lasted as long as the Rowentas .. for the big steam I ust use a spritz bottle.

Barbm 03-25-2012 02:49 PM

I guess I got lucky- my Rowenta was "off/on" as the wire connected or didn't. I bought a cheapy at the Dollar store for $9 until I find what I'd like to replace it with. I will not use an iron that has connection issues.

Barbm 03-25-2012 02:50 PM

The life span of mine was about 4 1/2 years too. heavy use I would say.