Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   raffle quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/raffle-quilt-t153951.html)

Mazda 09-18-2011 01:48 PM

What pattern would you suggest for a raffle quilt and why?

Thanks in advance!

dakotamaid 09-18-2011 01:49 PM

Stars, everyone loves stars, hands down it is a favorite.

Phannie1 09-18-2011 01:52 PM

Are you working with a group of quilters or is just a handful working on it?

Our guild is working with a 9" 9-patch with alternating solid white 9" patch. so we all have did some effort on it. We have had some with problems but others picked up the problems for corrections.

jaciqltznok 09-18-2011 02:14 PM

it would really depend on the charity, the theme of their program, your skill level, the amount of time you have to get it DONE, the amount of $$ you will have to put out for it..so many variables!

dunster 09-18-2011 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
it would really depend on the charity, the theme of their program, your skill level, the amount of time you have to get it DONE, the amount of $$ you will have to put out for it..so many variables!

I agree. If everyone wants to work on it, but not all skill levels are up to matching points, producing a block of the right size, etc., then choose a simple pattern but use fabrics that make it special.

qbquilts 09-18-2011 02:52 PM

The quilt camp I go to did one recently. They asked all the campers to turn in a 9-patch in fall colors. The camp directors then put the quilt together using alternate blocks (a small print that from a distance looks like a gold fall color) and quilted it. Groups that use the camp facility (it's a YMCA summer camp) plus the quilters sold/bought raffle tickets. I want to say the quilt brought in over $700 after the cost of finishing/quilting it. The camp facility runs several youth camps in the summer, including 4 for which most of the campers attend free of charge because of grants from the state and matching funds that the camp raises. This money went to those programs.

starshine 09-18-2011 03:10 PM

If it is for a local event perhaps blocks with pieced or applique that depict local scenes and places or significant events.
Also, maybe us blocks that are named for Oklahoma.

Either of these would make a connection for those purchasing the tickets if it is being raffled locally.

kristen0112 09-18-2011 03:38 PM

I read an article in McCalls quilting magazine that said to choose a traditional pattern, use lots of colors - it will sell more if you make it scrappy because they can't say it's not in my colors. And lastly make it a queen sized quilt. Good luck.

hopetoquilt 09-18-2011 04:55 PM

I love the look of a sampler quilt. some patterns are easier than others and it can be scrappy. Everyone from beginner to advanced can sign up to do a block or more. If people write down the type of block they are doing so there are not repeats... and pick a color scheme (like greens or plaids or bright colors, etc.)

Jan in VA 09-18-2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
I read an article in McCalls quilting magazine that said to choose a traditional pattern, use lots of colors - it will sell more if you make it scrappy because they can't say it's not in my colors. And lastly make it a queen sized quilt. Good luck.

I agree, traditional, colorful, scrappy, queen sized.
Also, the design is more appealing when there are diagonals in it, such as something that chains across the surface. Stars separated with 9 patches would be an example.

Always label!

Jan in VA