Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rag Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-question-t11737.html)

justme22 09-29-2008 05:56 PM

Hello!
I'm not only VERY new to quilting, but VERY new to sewing in general, but I want to make a blanket for my baby (who will be here any day!) and I've read that a rag quilt is the easiest, so I attempted to make one...and it did not turn out...I think my problem is I left to much seam allowance for the ragging process, so my question is, how much do you leave? and also how close to cut for the ragging? THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

pocoellie 09-29-2008 06:40 PM

You need to have at least 1/2", I usually have 5/8-1" seams, then snip.

Jim's Gem 09-29-2008 09:01 PM

I think the one I made had 1/2" seams but most I have seen have about an inch for the seam. Make sure your batting, if you use it is smaller than your squares so it doesn't show so much in the ragged seams
Cut in close to the seam but be very careful not to snip the seam (or another block that happens to be folded in at the time like I did. I had to sew a scrap of fabric over my boo boo)

ddrobins1956 09-30-2008 06:46 AM

Hi, Congrats on your baby! You must be so excited to see your little bundle.
I've made lots of rag quilts. For baby quilts, I use 5 inch squares. Cotton or flannel or a combination of both. I use flannel or muslin for the filling. So for each square that you make you will have three, 5 inch squares a front and a back and a filling of flannel or muslin. I sew diagonal thru each square from corner to corner, twice. Making a X in the center of each square. I leave a half inch seam allowance and snip seams as I go instead of waiting till the end of making the quilt. Hope this helps.

jljack 09-30-2008 07:41 PM

I like Deb's instructions - it is really easy once you get started with good instructions. I did 1/4" seams on one, and it worked OK, but very little "rag" and it was hard to keep from cutting the seams. The good thing is that it's quilt-as-you-go, so it goes quick. Best of luck!! And, Happy Baby!!!! :P

gcathie 09-30-2008 08:37 PM

Okay I got a question ...do you have a photo you can share with us? I did mine similar to everyone else...but I used cotton or poly batting....my outer blocks were 7" and the batting 5" ..center the batting making the sandwhich....sew the X through the center.....I sewed 1" in ....connecting it to the next block....then snipped 1/4" apart and stayed away from sewing line about 1/4" when I was all done ...Good tv work......now that is one way.....the other way is like... ddrobins1956... if you use flannel or muslin cut it the same as your block....makes for extra fluff when you snip it.....First way is for a heavier quilt and the latter is lighter weight....be sure to go to the laundry mat to wash these.....they sure do make a mess and could plug your machine.....Good luck...

Jim's Gem 09-30-2008 09:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of a flannel rag quilt I did. I made the batting, which was warm and natural an inch smaller than the fabric and used a 1/2" seam. I sewed an X across each block before sewing together. Because this is flannel with batting, it is a very heavy and warm quilt!

Oh and welcome to the board justme!

Front of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19423[/ATTACH]

back of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19433[/ATTACH]

gcathie 09-30-2008 10:05 PM

Gayle.....That is wonderful!!.....

and I forgot to say Welcome too...

Judith 10-03-2008 03:42 PM

Absolutely gorgeous!! I love your colour choices and that you made some of the squares different sizes. It looks incredible!

QuiltinLee 10-03-2008 04:09 PM

Just beautiful!!