Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rag Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-question-t156269.html)

Aylahopper 09-27-2011 11:08 AM

I bought a rag quilt kit a while ago and have now cut the squares for it. Being new to quilting, I did not ask if there was backing and now I know there is not! I want to continue this project and I know the quilt store won't have the fabric anymore. It's winter themed, green, cranberry (with printed greenery) and off white (with printed holly) Would you consider using demin for the back?

Other question...would you use batting with the denim?

Thanks,

Andrea

MegsAnn 09-27-2011 11:17 AM

Yeah, denim would work well. I wouldn't use batting with the denim 'cause it's already heavy and warm enough... but that's up to you.

athomenow 09-27-2011 11:46 AM

I have purchased these kits and made lots of them. I have never used anything other than the blocks that come in the kit. They are warm and very easy to put together. When I make flannel rag quilts I use two layers of flannel and guilt an X through them before putting them together. They are very warm and fast to make.

orangeroom 09-27-2011 11:48 AM

I've made many rag quilts. All with flannel and regular batting between. I don't tend to go outside the box though. 10" flannel for front and back. Whatever backing you use it will come through to the front between the front material.

LivelyLady 09-27-2011 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow
I have purchased these kits and made lots of them. I have never used anything other than the blocks that come in the kit. They are warm and very easy to put together. When I make flannel rag quilts I use two layers of flannel and guilt an X through them before putting them together. They are very warm and fast to make.

I do the same....but I only use 1 flannel square the same size as the block and stack the layers when I cut. I also like the fuller rag ruffle it makes.

mmdquilts 09-27-2011 12:09 PM

I use one or two layers of flannel under the squares for a fluffier "rag"

Jennifer22206 09-27-2011 12:11 PM

denim will certainly work! And it'll look great. I think denim is warm enough as is, but you can always add batting if you'd like.

TexasSunshine 09-27-2011 04:07 PM

I made one for my son last Christmas and used old denim jeans for the front and red plain flannel for the back. I did not use batting because of the weight of the denim, it did turn out to be heavy. He loved it.

dunster 09-27-2011 04:16 PM

If you're talking about backing as one big piece for all over the quilt, that's not usually the way it's done for rag quilts. Normally, you use either two or 3 layers of flannel/denim/whatever for each square, or two layers with batting in between. If you only have enough squares for the "top" of the quilt, then mixing in denim as the 2nd square (without batting) would be fine, but you might want to consider alternating the denim on the top and back, so you don't wind up with the back being all denim. (In other words, half the squares on the top would be denim and the other half would be flannel, and the same on the back.)

Aylahopper 09-27-2011 05:39 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I do like to "colour outside the lines"! I had made a rather large material purchase about 6 months ago...for a great price. A clothing store going out of business, one of the materials I picked out was denim. Worked out well. I've cut the denim squares. DH got home, had one look at what I was doing and now he wants the blanket!

Dunster - I like your idea! And the part flannel on the back would also help it to stay on your lap.

Thanks again QB friends!!