Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   rag quilt ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-t164216.html)

clsurz 10-29-2011 02:34 PM

I couldn't cut those with scissors even if I wanted to.

I invested in the Go and Studio and have purchased all rag quilt dies they had.

Saves alot of time and pain using those dies.

orangeroom 10-29-2011 02:37 PM

I've accidentally missed a row when ragging in the past. Didn't do a thing. If you want a true rag look, gotta cut it. Do you have special rag quilt snips? JoAnn's carries them! Save on your hands for sure!

Honeynga 10-29-2011 03:51 PM

I've made a few rag quilts and you know what is crazy ? I LOVE the snipping process ! Get me a big glass of icy Diet Coke, settle into my chair with my spring loaded scissors and snip snip away...of course, can't to it all in one sitting.....nutso. My LQS has dies for a rag quilt, just haven't been able to really afford to have them cut fabric; besides I don't know how to prepare fabric for them to cut, but that is another story I'm sure...

happy snipping !

athomenow 10-29-2011 03:59 PM

Get the Fiskars rag quilt snips. They make it easy to do while you're watching TV.

Cyn 10-29-2011 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
<- been there, tried that. It was ugly. Trust me, you want to take the time and snip it.

Ditto :) :( :)

Pam B 10-29-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Honeynga
I've made a few rag quilts and you know what is crazy ? I LOVE the snipping process ! Get me a big glass of icy Diet Coke, settle into my chair with my spring loaded scissors and snip snip away...of course, can't to it all in one sitting.....nutso. My LQS has dies for a rag quilt, just haven't been able to really afford to have them cut fabric; besides I don't know how to prepare fabric for them to cut, but that is another story I'm sure...

happy snipping !

I kind of enjoy the 'snipping' process, also. It gives me a very good reason to park myself in front of the TV and watch a movie! And, since I look like I am being very productive, nobody says a word.

romanojg 10-30-2011 09:07 AM

It would rag because that is the nature of the beast. By snipping it you can control it. You can use fleece to get the rag look and it doesn't rag. I let my accuquilt do the work for me

babyboomerquilter 10-30-2011 09:10 AM

Yep, The spring loaded snips make the job a whole lot easier.

BellaBoo 10-30-2011 09:25 AM

I have the rag die for the GO and boy does it save time and my hands! The snips are already cut before I sew. After sewing I'm done.

romanojg 10-30-2011 09:57 AM

Ditto on this. I got so that I'd cut a whole bunch of different fabric and put together blocks and then put them in a bin and then when I needed a quilt in a hurry I'd pull out the bin and pick out blocks that went for what I needed boy/girl, etc. If I have time I also have the Baby die and the insect die and I'd applique designs on the back for the baby to play with before it's big enough to use the other side. I get a lot of rave reviews for my rag quilts and making them this way saves me alot of rushing.