Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rail fence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rail-fence-t89987.html)

juniemoon 01-12-2011 05:42 PM

I have just finished sewing the top of my Rail Fence baby quilt. How should I quilt it?
I have a (stupid?) question. Do I quilt before binding or is it the other way round?
Thank you. :)

Mattee 01-12-2011 05:48 PM

Quilt first, then bind. No question is stupid! :)

Texasjunebug 01-12-2011 05:51 PM

I would quilt it first (starting in the middle working outward) - then add binding. Other people here can tell you about ironing and checking to be sure the size is correct to measure for binding. Look forward to seeing a picture of it!

juniemoon 01-12-2011 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
I would quilt it first (starting in the middle working outward) - then add binding. Other people here can tell you about ironing and checking to be sure the size is correct to measure for binding. Look forward to seeing a picture of it!

Thanks. Actually I would also like to know how to quilt it. Do I sew in the ditch around the blocks? I can't do FMQ. :(

Texasjunebug 01-12-2011 08:49 PM

I would have a better idea if I could see what you've done so far. Depends on the pattern and the fabric you use as to what quilting is best suited. I have to do hand quilting, and you have options for that - it does not have to be done on the machine. Can you post a picture? Hope so, I look forward to seeing it.

juniemoon 01-12-2011 11:33 PM

I would have a better idea if I could see what you've done so far. Depends on the pattern and the fabric you use as to what quilting is best suited. I have to do hand quilting, and you have options for that - it does not have to be done on the machine. Can you post a picture? Hope so, I look forward to seeing it.

Have tried many times to post some pictures but was unsuccessful. Don't know the reason but will keep trying.

gale 01-13-2011 12:09 AM

I usually quilt diagonal lines. I can't stitch in the ditch worth a darn and haven't tried free motion so I do straight lines. If I do them across, sure enough they'll be off enough to tell since the blocks go across, so when I do it diagonally a little off isn't so noticeable.

quilterella 01-13-2011 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by juniemoon

Thanks. Actually I would also like to know how to quilt it. Do I sew in the ditch around the blocks? I can't do FMQ. :(

I have a hard time keeping straight lines when doing SITD so I sew approx 1/4" on each side of specific seams (ie the block or every other rail, I find it really makes everything POP!

purplemem 01-13-2011 02:13 AM

I use painter's masking tape and draw a diagonal grid. It stays straight and mistakes aren't noticeable.

When I hand quilt I use a stencil to mark the quilt, but it is much slower going. On the other hand, much more relaxing also.