Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Raw Edge Applique Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/raw-edge-applique-question-t218039.html)

southernmema 04-02-2013 04:00 AM

Raw Edge Applique Question

I would like to make a raw edge applique quilt for my granddaughter who is designing a "Shabby Chic" bedroom for her apartment at college. I'm talking about the kind of quilt where the applique is sewn down leaving the raw edges of the applique pieces to "fray" when washed, etc. If anyone has made this kind of quilt and would share their tips and most of all their pictures, I would be so appreciative. Thanks.

judylg 04-02-2013 04:26 AM

I will be watching this one for sure. Am doing a shabby chic sort of quilt right now and have a few blocks left to make and thought of possibly appliqueing. Good luck!

alleyoop1 04-02-2013 05:13 AM

The only kind of 'raw edge' applique I've done was to make 3-D raw edge roses. I cut 3 or 4 "circles" each a bit smaller than the next, and scalloped the edges to look like rose petals, then I stitched them in the center.

If you do an internet search for French Roses Quilts you will get an idea of what I did.

running1 04-02-2013 05:35 AM

I just posted on another thread (look for question on layer cakes)... I found a pattern in a Better Homes and Garden quilt magazine (I think) that used a layer cake. I cut 8" circles from an entire layer cake, then stitched the circle and the remainder of the piece to a common background, then arranged the blocks circle/square/circle/square, etc... When washed it frayed nicely. I quilted in the ditch and then across diagonally in both directions through each block. It was a quick, easy, fun-to-do quilt. Check out the BH&G quilting site, I've seen the pattern on there. (again, I think) I would post pics but in a hurry today....

Skittl1321 04-02-2013 05:38 AM

I think you will get better fray if you use flannel instead of standard quilting cotton.

running1 04-02-2013 05:41 AM

Correction!!! Its on the Allpeoplequilt site... click on quilts using precuts... You'll see it there!

Tartan 04-02-2013 06:08 AM

​The French rose pattern makes a lovely raw edge appliqué quilt because of the roundish shapes. The more round shapes have lots of bias edges that allow for excellent fraying.

mike'sgirl 04-02-2013 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 5972089)
The only kind of 'raw edge' applique I've done was to make 3-D raw edge roses. I cut 3 or 4 "circles" each a bit smaller than the next, and scalloped the edges to look like rose petals, then I stitched them in the center.

If you do an internet search for French Roses Quilts you will get an idea of what I did.

Several ladies in my guild did this one but they called it cabbage rose. I loved it and have put it on my list of quilts to make.

AliKat 04-02-2013 10:44 AM

I just used Elmer's school glue stick to keep the appllique in place. Then I either straight stitched or wobble stitched [a small long zigzag stitch, which I liked better.]

I was using all cotton. Last I heard the quilt is holding up just great.

nativetexan 04-02-2013 11:59 AM

that's it. French rose, not cabbage rose as I was thinking.