Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Re: A Featherweight at a Peddler's mall. . .I think (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/re-featherweight-peddlers-mall-i-think-t80505.html)

Aurora 12-05-2010 04:34 AM

Singer did make a fold-up table for a Featherweight. And I agree with the others, I would buy it.

mjsylvstr 12-05-2010 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by arpdesigns28
Sooo, I'm at the local Peddler's Mall with my mom looking for some gently used furniture for my little brother's new house. Aaaand, while looking around, Mom and I stumble upon a super old school sewing table with the built in machine. I think it is the featherweight, and the price for it was about like $30-$50 for the whole thing. At that time, I was looking for a good little sewing table for my current Singer (for those of you who have Pfaffs, or Berninas, stay calm, lol). I opened it up and was shocked at the find. My questions are:

1. Is it a good buy? The machine is questionable in terms of functionality, but the cabinet itself is in great shape.

Send Billy a picture of the machine and he will no doubt be able to answer your question about the machine.

2. If the machine is damaged, how repairable are they?

3. Has anyone been through this before, and what was your experience?

Would appreciate your responses. I have seen a few posts about the featherweights, and how valuable they are.

mjsylvstr 12-05-2010 05:21 AM

my answer didn't get in the above....Send Billy a picture of the machine and will no doubt be able to answer any question having to do with your new find.

ritaquilts 12-05-2010 06:31 AM

To answer one of your questions, it is very repairable if it is an all metal machine. I have had so much trouble to new machines because some plastic piece breaks. It doesn't matter whether its a featherweight or another style, it is possibly an excellent buy.
Lois

meow meow 12-05-2010 08:23 AM

WOW!!! Snatch it up. I am sure it is repairable. I have to featherweights one made in 1933 and one made in 1955. One has a fold up table that the machine (both machines fit on it) locks into. They both sew and I love using them. At that price you'd be silly not to buy it. Send pictures. Congratulations if you do purchase it!!!!!!

pbreon 12-05-2010 09:28 AM

YES YES???!!!!this is a great find!!!

I just got a Singer 1931 Machine for 60.00 at an estate sale !! My lcs husband repairs and serices them and he told me it was well worth it... he sells the featherweight in the store from 300. -450. so you will find a service person in your are and get it cleaned up. they are collectors!!
Some of my guild pals use them when we do workshops... easy to tote and gret straight stiching!!!
Lucky you!! :thumbup:

kathyquilter34 12-05-2010 11:52 AM

would love to see a picture of this machine..I bought an old machine from an estate sale..it is a Sparten..but on the side it says it is a Singer..It is the size of my featherweight ..looks like it but it weighs at least 20#..I spent $2.00 for it..runs great..did need cleaned up and a needle holder replaced..other wise great little(heavy) machine..Kathleen

kathyquilter34 12-05-2010 11:53 AM

Sorry I spelled it wrong..it is a Spartan..Kathleen

smitty 12-05-2010 03:24 PM

you probably have Googled this by the time my reply comes up.
Featherweights are model 221, this is usually on the arm of the machine. Singer made a wood cart table that will hold a 221. they also made a very rare, oval table that the 221 sits in & stores in (even if you find this covered in paint-buy !)
mechanically, most 221s can be repaired. the gold decals can not be repaired without expensive re-painting. the 221 has a fold-up extension on the left end of the table. only 221 & 301 have this. this machine you are looking at is probably in a regular Singer cabinet that fits many, many machines. rarely do you see a 99 in the 3/4 size cabinet, but it if you do ! Spartan is just a 99 in a different dress. great machines,but heavier.
ISMACS is a great site for identity. also "Sandmans collectibles" on eBay has a really good ID site. Educate yourself so that if you do see a 221, you will be ready to jump. there are some real bargains to be had, but you need to be ready. I don't know how many 99s have been brought to us for repair of their "Featherweight". big $$ difference.

smitty 12-05-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by arpdesigns28
Sooo, I'm at the local Peddler's Mall with my mom looking for some gently used furniture for my little brother's new house. Aaaand, while looking around, Mom and I stumble upon a super old school sewing table with the built in machine. I think it is the featherweight, and the price for it was about like $30-$50 for the whole thing. At that time, I was looking for a good little sewing table for my current Singer (for those of you who have Pfaffs, or Berninas, stay calm, lol). I opened it up and was shocked at the find. My questions are:

1. Is it a good buy? The machine is questionable in terms of functionality, but the cabinet itself is in great shape.

2. If the machine is damaged, how repairable are they?

3. Has anyone been through this before, and what was your experience?

Would appreciate your responses. I have seen a few posts about the featherweights, and how valuable they are.

Get the serial #, usually on the bottom or sides, sometimes on the bed or the machine. then go to SingerCo site & look at their extensive list to see what model & what year it is. Most likely not a 221, Featherweight.