Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Re-Washing Fabric... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/re-washing-fabric-t189501.html)

emlee51 05-20-2012 08:09 AM

Re-Washing Fabric...

I would like to reorganize my stash cupboard...can I re-wash my fabrics to be able to arrange them better in my cupboard? I've ironed the majority of them the first time...some with sizing, some without. Would it be better if I just folded them with no ironing, and iron only when I use the fabric? What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I just finished going through the 132 pages of The Scrappy Quilt Show from the thread started by Grammy Dwynn...thank you, Grammy for starting this!!! Can I add my pictures to the thread, or can we start a new one?

Thanks for all your help. The help I get from the gracious people on this board sure has helped improve my quilting adventure, and the inspiration is endless!!

Neesie 05-20-2012 08:14 AM

I wash/dry mine, then fold and store. I never iron, until I'm ready to use them, as I can't see the point in having to iron them, twice.

DebraK 05-20-2012 08:25 AM

I only iron when I'm ready to cut.

TanyaL 05-20-2012 08:26 AM

If they haven't become soiled then why are you thinking there will be value in rewashing them? Just refold.

QuiltE 05-20-2012 08:35 AM

I too am not sure why you are wanting to wash the fabric ... but if you want to, go ahead ... After all, if it's not washable, now there's a problem!!!

I wash all my fabric as soon as it comes in the house, and check that it is colour fast, or treat it as needed. That way I know it's ready to go when the time comes. As for ironing, that waits until it's needed, so that it's freshly pressed. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be re-doing it then as well.

As for your query re starting a new scrappy thread? .... why? why not continue on with the same Scrappy Showcase?

And all this, is JIMHO!!!! :D

emlee51 05-20-2012 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5229960)
I too am not sure why you are wanting to wash the fabric ... but if you want to, go ahead ... After all, if it's not washable, now there's a problem!!!

I wash all my fabric as soon as it comes in the house, and check that it is colour fast, or treat it as needed. That way I know it's ready to go when the time comes. As for ironing, that waits until it's needed, so that it's freshly pressed. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be re-doing it then as well.

As for your query re starting a new scrappy thread? .... why? why not continue on with the same Scrappy Showcase?

And all this, is JIMHO!!!! :D

Some of the fabric has been in the cupboard for years, and the fold lines are pretty permanent...that is why I asked. I thought about adding that after I posted!! Sometimes it's pretty hard to re-fold all those old lines!

ckcowl 05-20-2012 09:20 AM

you can wash your fabric as often as you want- it is yours----no one will have any idea if you washed it once or a dozen times...as for the ironing---if it comes out very wrinkled and you feel like it- iron it before refolding- if you can smooth it nicely (enough) to fold you can wait until you are going to use it- if you choose to iron first i would avoid sizing or starch if it is just going to be stored on shelves for more years---if you need - something- to help with the ironing-a spritz of water is generally enough.

DogHouseMom 05-20-2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by emlee51 (Post 5230009)
Some of the fabric has been in the cupboard for years, and the fold lines are pretty permanent...that is why I asked. I thought about adding that after I posted!! Sometimes it's pretty hard to re-fold all those old lines!

I agree, wash it again and freshen it up and get rid of the old crease lines. Then just fold and store. I never iron until I'm ready to cut.

pinecone 05-20-2012 10:39 AM

To save on water would it work to just rinse it? I always iron it so I can grab and cut. I too favor leaving the starch/sizing out, it might be too tempting for critters.

piney

emlee51 05-20-2012 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5230085)
I agree, wash it again and freshen it up and get rid of the old crease lines. Then just fold and store. I never iron until I'm ready to cut.

Yes, I think I'll wash some of it...and leave the sizing out. Thanks, ckcowl, I, too, think know one will know if I wash it again. And I won't iron it either. I was just a newbie when I did all the ironing and sizing...that was 8 years ago so you know how old some of the fabric is! Thanks for all your comments and help.