Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reactions to receiving quilts.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reactions-receiving-quilts-t85143.html)

annyroony2 12-25-2010 03:36 PM

I gave quilts as gifts for the first time this year (outside my kids). They were lap quilts I made while learning to FM (and I thought they were pretty). I gave to 3 SILs and 2 nieces. I was really surprised by the reactions to these quilts. First SIL, was really excited and happy (no surprise), second SIL was happy (she is quiet), 3rd SIL took tissue off of package and put bag between couch and wall. First niece (who is in art school) pulled hers out and said "that's pretty" and put it down. Second niece was overwhelmed (this was the surprise). Her husband came to me later and whispered in my ear "You have just made Annette's day. No really you have just made Annette's day." Totally different reactions from nieces. And the 3rd SIL came to me later to thank me, I said there is also doggies quilts in that bag. That got her excited, she pulled the bag out and pulled the doggie quilts out and showed her husband, never pulling out the big quilt. But it's okay, I did it because I wanted to and that's what matters. Annette's response was enough. Will they get another quilt? Well, maybe some of them.

Sadiemae 12-25-2010 03:48 PM

You did a wonderful thing and it is true you never quite know what the reactions will be.

bjnicholson 12-25-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
You did a wonderful thing and it is true you never quite know what the reactions will be.

I agree. It's a good thing we love what we do, because you never know how all the work is going to be received.

missgigglewings 12-25-2010 03:55 PM

Here is my reaction story: Made all 5 grandchildren quilts. My son's child was so excited to get a San Deigo chargers quilt that we could not get a clear picture of him. He is 9 years old and loves the Chargers, he hooped and hollered and jumped up and down and made his bed with it right away. My daughter's son,(who is 7 and my little "ange") and his step-siblings thought they were getting pillows because I wrapped the quilts in matching pillow cases. They didn't even bother to take them out till thier mom told them to. Then none of these 3 beautiful quilts were unfolded and admired. I did hear one of them say "oh, its a quilt inside, thanks". It will be awhile before they get another one. It is more rewarding to quilt for our vets!

morelcabin 12-25-2010 03:56 PM

Give them all a chance...see what they do with them...you might be surprised yet again. When my MIL gave my husband his quilt many years ago, I really didn't have much to say and really wasn't impressed with it. But it came home and spent 15 years on our bed, and now is on the company bed. I grew to really love that quilt, and it is in almost as good condition today as it was the day she made it, except a little faded. Some other family members seemed thrilled but put them in closets for the rest of thier lives...and others wore them out within 5 years and threw them away...
So you never know!

ncsewer 12-25-2010 05:26 PM

I agree that you need to wait a bit to judge the true reaction. With kids you can understand, they think toys are all they want. My son was about 18 or so and I made a quilt for his bed. One cold day we were watching TV in the Living Room and he was complaining about the cold. My suggestion - go get your quilt. He gave me that teenager are you crazy look and said, "No way, you made that for me and my bed and if I bring it out here I might not get it back!" Even funnier he, his Dad and I were the only ones that lived there so I'm not sure who was going to steal it! He never seemed to excited when he got it, but it turned into a treasure.

bj 12-25-2010 05:31 PM

I guess we can only control how we feel making them and gifting them. Just try to hold on to that feeling and don't stress about the other. :-)

Magdalena 12-25-2010 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by bj
I guess we can only control how we feel making them and gifting them. Just try to hold on to that feeling and don't stress about the other. :-)

I agree. They can never take away the love and thoughts that were entwined with the quilts you made. These kind of gifts are unique - the ones you make with your hands. I believe they will eventually understand and appreciate your beautiful work.

lalaland 12-25-2010 05:52 PM

I totally agree, give it some time.

I find there are always mixed reactions with the girls, we are such unpredictable creatures. When I got married 32 years ago, we received a handmade, full size shocking hot pink/brown quilt as a wedding gift from my husband's aunt and her daughter. I was appreciative but it was hard to warm up to. I grew to love that quilt, and used it until it was so worn out that no amount of repairing could salvage it. I managed to save the original label and a few scraps of it and still miss the darn thing.

I gave my son a fleece/flannel quilt for Christmas. I got the usual "thanks mom". I just went looking for it, I was a little chilly and wanted to see how warm it would be, found my son wrapped up in it, napping. Guess he likes it!

MaryStoaks 12-25-2010 06:13 PM

My great neice is 16 and visited us just before Christmas. She wants to learn to sew but lives several hours from me. I showed her my quilt pile and she said she really liked the black and white one. I gave it to her, not knowing if she was just being polite or if she really liked it. Her mother called me the next day to tell me her daughter hugged and petted that quilt all the way home. She put it right on her bed and is planning to spend some time with me next summer to learn to make her own. That is the best kind of reaction for me!