Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ready for the Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ready-quilter-t98661.html)

Evy 02-11-2011 03:12 AM

I just finished a large quilt top and am ready to send it out for quilting. My questions are: what is the best way to find someone to finish it, what do I do to the top to get it ready for a quilter and roughly how much should I expect to pay? I have to top and need it completely done, backing, batting, binding and quilting. Is it important that all seams face the same way? This is a patchwork so many, many seams.

Thanks so much.

ckcowl 02-11-2011 04:46 AM

it is important to have your top pressed nicely and it be squared. if there are many seams along the outer edges it is also a good idea to run a straight stitch all the way around the outter edge. this keeps the edges from being pulled apart when the quilt is loaded on the frame...it is pulled taut.
you will need to contact a local quilt shop to find out who in your area provides the services you require; prices vary depending on lots of things including location...it's going to be different in Michigan than in Florida. and some will square the quilt and bind it for you after quilting, some will only do the quilting...i don't know (any) who provide the backing, usually people take their top and backing to the quilter...backings are usually individual ...for that quilt...and should be (at least) 5" all the way around larger than the top...which means if your top measures 80"x90" your backing should measure 90"x100"---the batting has to be larger too, but some long-arm quilters do offer some batting. after contacting a couple quilters in your area you need to visit them - see their work and discuss pricing; some charge by the quilt, some by the square inch, some by the hour, some charge for thread, some include thread...some people do only free-hand custom work, some use panto's or stencils...some have computerized stitchers....you want someone who does the quilting you like...it is important to establish a relationship with your quilter. as for what you can expect...cost wise...no way to tell since you did not say what size the quilt top is...anywhere from $40-$50 for a little baby quilt up to $400-$500 for custom work on a King...it all depends on alot of variables. and any willing to square and bind after quilting is going to charge extra for that.
if you do a search here there is a list of long-armers on the board, you could check the list to see if there is anyone close to you and ask specific questions too.

rusty quilter 02-11-2011 05:23 AM

Great advice from ckcowl. I would also suggest you check around with other quilters before handy your baby over. I have had some long armers do beautiful work, and one that totally ruined the look of my quilt (and months of hard work!)

hobbykat1955 02-11-2011 05:45 AM

Have you cked out "Charismah" on this sight...she does beautiful work and very reasonable prices

feffertim 02-11-2011 06:31 AM

I agree, Charismah does fabulous work, she posts pics of her quilts almost daily and they are beautiful

nanna-up-north 02-11-2011 06:34 AM

You've gotten some great advice....... just post a picture when it's done.... we want to see it.

suezquilts 02-11-2011 06:36 AM

Ask questions, look at their work, get up front pricing.

I do long arm quilting and there are many here that do. So much talent is out there.

If you have ideas, draw them out. Thread color preference? write it down. I use a Quilting form for my customers. Communication is so important.

Congrats On finishing your top! It is so exciting. I know I put borders on one yesterday! Now for the quilting.

feffertim 02-11-2011 06:46 AM

here is a blog that Charismah posted today, it's incredible. CHeck it out and look at her other posts too http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-98538-1.htm

Pieceful Quilter 02-11-2011 03:45 PM

Also, this may not be important to you, and I do not intend to tell anyone they should not smoke or anything else, but, I have asthma, so the things I am going to mention are important to my health... When I first started quilting I took a quilt to a long arm quilter upon recommendation from a quilt shop in my area.

When I got there I found the home was a "smoking" home. She used lots of fragranced candles (also very hard on my respiratory system) and she had multiple pets that roamed free in her entire house. I politely told her I didn't think I could use her services due to my respiratory situation, and she was most ungracious. Told me I had wasted her time by setting up an appointment, etc.

I could have saved myself and the long arm quilter some time and hurt feelings if she had divulged her home was NOT smoke and pet free. I learned a valuable lesson to always ask if something is important to me. If those things are important to you, perhaps ask in advance.

suezquilts 02-11-2011 03:49 PM

I would never would have thought about the smells from the scented candles. But I can imagine.