Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recently adopted two methods I learned on this board - great success! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recently-adopted-two-methods-i-learned-board-great-success-t208112.html)

paulina 12-10-2012 12:56 PM

Recently adopted two methods I learned on this board - great success!

For the last couple of quilts I have finished, I have tried two things I learned on this board:
1. Basting with Elmer's glue
2. Not ironing the binding

Both of these things are WONDERFUL and I will do it this way forever! Everything comes out easier and nicer and without eating up so much time.

I was skeptical on the glue at first and started adding pins, but then I made myself be patient and let it dry all the way and sure enough it ended up working like a charm.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-10-2012 01:21 PM

If you have a hard time being patient, you can iron it dry. That's what I do because being patient is not my strong suit.

I've also stopped ironing bindings for the most part.

You got to love the knowledge on this board!

Donna 66 12-10-2012 01:50 PM

I'm going to try and glue as soon as I get out to buy some. It's been below zero today and I decided to wait :) Donna

quilttiger 12-10-2012 05:24 PM

1) Basting with glue is a great help! Wish I had heard of this sooner, smile.

2) The only time I iron the the binding is when I fold the strip wrong sides together and iron it flat before attaching to the quilt.

There are no hard and fast rules there...whatever works, works.

bearisgray 12-10-2012 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiger (Post 5711682)
1) Basting with glue is a great help! Wish I had heard of this sooner, smile.

2) The only time I iron the the binding is when I fold the strip wrong sides together and iron it flat before attaching to the quilt.

There are no hard and fast rules there...whatever works, works.

The reason some don't iron a crease in the binding is because the outer layer has to go further than the inner layer - and because of that, the center fold is off by a few threads. I do pin the edges together so that they stay together while I sew the binding on.

EllieGirl 12-10-2012 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 5711209)

You got to love the knowledge on this board!

I have learned soooo much on these boards! The depth of knowledge is unbelievable!

amandasgramma 12-10-2012 07:20 PM

Whatever works is right!!! I tried the glue --- too darn messy for me (yeah, I'm a messy gluer - always have been, always will be I guess). I tried not ironing the binding on my last piece and did NOT like it --- will go back to ironing!!! :) :)

Prism99 12-10-2012 09:49 PM

I stopped ironing the binding in half before sewing it on; works great! However, following another tip from this board, I now iron the binding away from the quilt body before folding it over. This also is a great tip, at least for machine binding (I no longer hand sew bindings). Both tips together mean my bindings fold over the edge more easily *and* more evenly!

minstrel 12-11-2012 11:31 AM

I'm with you! Am just now quilting a quilt that I basted with Elmer's glue as suggested here. Can I just say that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it? No wrinkles or tucks anywhere, and that puppy is STUCK. I glue basted and left it for about 3 weeks before I got to it again, and nothing shifted or anything. Extra bonus: don't have to watch out for pins or threads while quilting. I can't see ever going back to thread basting. Now to try the no-iron binding technique. :-)

Dragonomine 12-11-2012 04:54 PM

I use glue stick and iron to turn my fabric edges over interfacing. Works perfectly.