Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recuperation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recuperation-t202732.html)

rj.neihart 10-11-2012 04:35 AM

Bless you - hope all goes well with your operation! If I were you, I'd have lots of material sitting close to where I'm going to plant my behind while healing..and cut squares, hand sew them. I'd also place my box of yarn, in case I feel like crocheting an afghan - and might even do a bit of embroidery. All items would be prepared and sat in the closest place when I could reach them. Oh, and of course have the t.v. remote close by!

jitkaau 10-11-2012 04:39 AM

Chicken scratch?

IBQLTN 10-11-2012 05:04 AM

Yo-yo's? I have several of the clover yo-yo templates that hold the fabric in place while you stitch it. I am using them to embellish gloves, head bands, barrettes, or to make with pin backs.

Don't stick with the traditional either. I have some in taffeta that are a large with a small center and a nice 'dressy' button that turned out really nice!

tildiemae 10-11-2012 05:19 AM

I, too would suggest yoyos. I just cut out over 600 for a project as we have been traveling the last couple of weeks. I'm close to having a 100 done! I alternated with paper piecing and embroidery...wool embroidery is a nice change from redwork. Send my wishes to you for your speedy recovery.

Caswews 10-11-2012 06:26 AM

Have handy your quilting magazines, books so you can mark future quilts projects. Then be sure to cut up any project you are thinking of doing in advance for hand quilting. Yoyo's are a good thing to do as well.
Oh and be sure you have your computer handy so we can check on you.

donewith13 10-11-2012 06:29 AM

make a lot of Yo-yo's

cat2quilt 10-11-2012 06:30 AM

I see you have many good ideas already so you should be well prepared. Good luck with your surgery and I hope you recover quickly.

kbishburg 10-11-2012 06:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also just had surgery (minor, Thank G_d) but in advance, I saved up some projects with quilt bindings and some hand quilting. More challenging is that I am going to be out of the country for 6 weeks in November and December and need to have some small, portable hand quilting with me. So, I plan and do some applique wall hangings or challah covers, then just do the hand quilting while I'm away. I did the attached last year with laurel Burch fabric and it was easy and a nice gift.

Snooks 10-11-2012 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 5572758)
I am going for an operation in 10days. Will be sitting very still after. Have any of you any idea as to what I can do. Quilt wise. This is the 2nd time been incapacitated this year and last time not doing any quilting drove me over the edge. This time will be able to use my hands not so muh my feet or walking.

I feel for you Dottymo, when I'm in OR during the winter I do a lot of embroidery (the damp and cold make it very hard to stand and walk). Because you have time I would go find some fabric that you would like to make a quilt out of, then find an embroidery pattern that might go with the fabric and do your transfers. I found all kinds of Red Hat fabric to make blocks to go with so special embroidery of Hats, Shoes & Handbags I found. I also added all kinds of little extras to my embroidery. When I felt better, then I put my quilt together. Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon.

carolynjo 10-11-2012 09:23 AM

Get your pieces cut and ready. If you cannot "eyeball" a 1/4" seam, trace lightly the seam line on your pieces. Have your thread, scissors, etc. ready. You will be able to get a lot of piecing done as soon as you feel like it. That's what I'm going to do as I am due some back work soon. Good luck and get ready. Have far more lined up to do than you can accomplish so you can switch over it something proves far too tiring/boring, etc.