Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recuperation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recuperation-t202732.html)

DOTTYMO 10-11-2012 09:39 AM

Thank you all so much. I prepared loads last time only to find because it was a hand op, removal of a bone I was incapacitated for a long time. Hand sewing was a no no. I am quickly preparing as goin on the 22nd October. I will have had the op I hope b the time you are all waking up. Will send a message on the 23rd as I am staying with a friend for the first 24 hours as ordered. Thank you for all your good wishes and help.

wildyard 10-11-2012 02:09 PM

Before my knee surgery, I hit the thrift stores and stocked up on items to deconstruct and thus add to my stash. I spent my time taking the items apart and appreciating all the money I was saving by getting fabric in this way.

damaquilts 10-11-2012 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jeank (Post 5572862)
Sounds like a good time to learn to English Paper Piece. Get everything ready ahead.

That was going to be my suggestion. I printed out lots and lots of hexagons and sat and cut them out before I went to the hospital. I also cut small squares of fabric . I have it in one of those plastic zippered bags that sheets come in . It has gone to the hospital twice with me and I did some while I was waiting to be able to be up and around. As soon as I could cut back on the pain meds. lol I was loopy for some time. Maybe one day the grandmothers flower garden will get put together.

MimiBug123 10-11-2012 05:00 PM

I put my embroidery machine on a portable computer table with wheels on it. I could pull it right over to the recliner and embroider or applique away. My machine has a start button the you poke with your hand. I made sure to have my thread, lots of cut squares, stabilizer and what have you in a big basket by my chair! That saw me through 2 knee replacements! I also had word search books, crossword puzzle books, a few novels, DVDs and my laptop to watch them on, and best of all, my DGKs brought me some old fashioned coloring books and crayons. Can you believe that I actually enjoyed coloring Barbies and cartoon characters. I hope your surgery goes well and you heal quickly. Will be saying prayers for you on the 22nd for safe surgery and fast recovery!

My time 10-11-2012 05:51 PM

My suggestion would be a redwork, or blue work quilt. Find some patterns to embroider and when you're up to it sew it into a quilt. This is what I'll be doing as I am probably going to have surgery in the not to distant future as well.

My time 10-11-2012 05:53 PM

Of course I meant hand embroidery. I love the simplicity of simple embroidery. But that just my own humble opinion.

ctipton 10-11-2012 07:51 PM

So sorry about your surgery please keep us updated. Sounds like lots of good advice. Best wishes and prayers

Sewnoma 10-11-2012 09:00 PM

I had my hip replaced almost a year ago - I did a lot of embroidery and beading while I was immobilized. Since it's right before the holidays, maybe some handmade fabric holiday cards? You could do them all sorts of ways; embroidered, pieced, appliqued, beaded...lots of variety possible there. Prep them ahead of time.....just sandwich some stiff fusible in between fabric and cut and crease to make them card size and you have a good base to start with.

wildyard 10-14-2012 07:32 AM

Oh and let me recommend graph paper, colored pencils and regular pencils, a big eraser and a pencil sharpener. It's lots of fun to play with ideas for quilts and patterns.