Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Religious themed fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/religious-themed-fabrics-t90351.html)

Favorite Fabrics 01-14-2011 05:24 AM

When our fabric sales rep and his guest, national sales manager for South Sea Imports / Wilmington Prints, stopped by this week, I told them that I would love it if the fabric companies came out with more religious-themed fabrics.

The sales manager's thought was that it might be "too risky": a limited market, possibly not what a secular society would want.

Hmmm...

I suggested that they could do motifs from a variety of religions, and could address hard-to-find holidays too. He'd already gotten a request for Pilgrims for Thanksgiving, and I was thinking of how hard it is to find Easter fabric that with a religious theme rather than just bunnies and eggs.

Do you think there would be a market for this? Where could it be used?

I immediately thought of all the church nurseries that I've seen, and the cute curtains that could be made for their windows. Also keepsake quilts to be given when a baby is baptized.

Other thoughts?

ktbb 01-14-2011 05:28 AM

I think lots of families would love to have quilts with these fabrics. Hobby Lobby has a lot of these types of fabrics (compared to other fabric stores) tho theirs tend to be strictly the Christian themes, not themes from other faiths. they might have some sales records that could be made available to vendors who are interested. When I'm in the market for Christian themed fabrics, that's where I look.

raptureready 01-14-2011 05:29 AM

Walmart carried some religious fabric, good quality too, a couple of years ago. It can be found, it's just rather hard to find. I have some that I've been collecting for a Bible themed quilt. I'm not sure yet if I want to design a quilt based on the miracles of Jesus, His life, or His parables. Maybe even incorporate some of each.

Ktbb---that's because Hobby Lobby is a Christian based store. They give discounts if you're buying for church projects, aren't open on Sundays (or at least they didn't used to be), etc. I love their stores. They not only carry good fabric but someone really puts some effort into buying some fabulous prints.

ktbb 01-14-2011 05:30 AM

another thought...caution would have to be taken to observe beliefs of the different religions - some won't have the name of God written down, others may have some beliefs that would prevent them from purchasing specific designs/figures

ConnieF 01-14-2011 05:32 AM

I think your Ideas and thoughts are womderful.

I second you idea.

ConnieF

PS I just read this to my dh and he said he dosent thingk we are as sectular as some people might think. Just a few try to make people think so.
At the beginning of every yera what do we get a new calander and we find many bible based calandars. So people do buy.

lauriejo 01-14-2011 05:38 AM

I frequently read comments on this board from members who are struggling to find religious themed fabric.

mommamac 01-14-2011 05:42 AM

Bible bags, Church banners, wall hangings, quilts for pastors, bookmarks ...
I think there is a market for sure.

sahm4605 01-14-2011 05:43 AM

I think that you should tell that rep to talk with more people. There is a really large nitch out there who want to have religious fabrics. I think that this rep and his buddy need to get their head out of their hind end and really look at the market. that is why hobby lobby and other religious lines do so well.

gollytwo 01-14-2011 05:46 AM

I'm all for it; no trouble finding Christian-themed fabric, a little trouble finding Jewish-themed; could not find any Kwanzaa-themed - and I searched.

CarrieAnne 01-14-2011 06:00 AM

We had alot of customers looking for it this year. I also went looking in our JoAnns for a Jewish themed fabric, and our JoAnns didnt have any at all.
I forget tat Hobby Lobby would most likely have some Christian ones,and I really like quality of their fabric too!